Partition magick issues

tatacalutatacalu New
edited January 2006 in Hardware
oi there !!!

I installed partition magick 8.0 and I tried to repartition my hard drive.
I have a Seagate Baracuda 200GB 7200 rpm.
The problem is: I have a large partition - about 180 GB - with about 10 GB of free space. I tried to make this partition smaller, knowing that I have enough free space, but the program let me make it smaller with about 3 GB. I did that and I tried again to make it smaller but the program wouldn't let me.
even though I have that much free space ...
any ideas?

thanks !:bigggrin:

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Is this the partition with your OS on it?
  • tatacalutatacalu New
    edited January 2006
    No, it isn't
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    If I understand you correctly, you now have a 173GB partition which contains 170GB of data and has 3GB free space. Is that right?
  • tatacalutatacalu New
    edited January 2006
    well, no:

I have a 172 GB partition on which I have 10 Gb free.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited January 2006
    So you're trying to resize your 172 GB partition, making it smaller. And you only have 10 GB free on that partition. That's only 5% free space. I believe it's recommended that you have at least 15% free space on every partition for optimal performance.

I also don't really understand why you want to do this. I'm guessing you're trying to shift around your free space to give yourself a little more room on your Windows partition or you're trying to create a 3rd partition from the freed space? Either way you should seriously consider whether or not it's worth the risk of Partition Magic screwing up and losing all 162 GB of your data (is it all backed up?). Because that happened to me last month when I was trying to use PM8 to move my little bit of free space to a different partition. I lost my 40 GB 'My Documents' partition. It was stupid on my part because I should have just realized that I needed to buy a bigger hard drive. I want to make sure you don't make the same mistake as me.