RAM for ASUS A8V-Deluxe, Which to choose?

XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I recently purchased an ASUS A8V-Deluxe motherboard for a system upgrade. Finally going to make the move to 64bit, but I needed an AGP board since I just bought an nVidia 6800GT this past summer.

When it comes to the RAM, I figured I'd go with Corsair since they seem to be a good brand, and I went to their web site to see what they recommend for my board. I plan on getting a 2GB Kit so I can have a matched pair of 1GB sticks.

There are two different models I was interested in, but truthfully I can't see any difference other than one has a black heat spreader, the other is silver.

Newegg has both, and they are just a few dollars in difference. What is the difference in the two types, and which should I choose over the other?

Twinx2048-3200c2, Item# N82E16820145574, $239.99
-or-
Twinx2048-3200c2pt, Item# N82E16820145575, $236.00

Both seem to have the exact same specifications, other than the difference in color of heat spreader.

Is there another make/model in the same price range that may be a better option? (I'd like to stay under $250 for 2GB, and I don't need any fancy LEDs or displays on the RAM)

Thanks for any suggestions or help you can offer. :)

Comments

• edited January 2006
    This Patriot ram for $238 has tighter timings than the Corsair and I can tell you from personal experience that it's very nice indeeed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220040

Yes, I'm on a Patriot binge but I've got a thing against Corsair...I spent some major cash on Corsair ram in '03 for this PC and it was terrible ram, I RMA'd it and still had nothing but problems with it and the "Ram Guy" from their forums was less than helpfull. Personally, I'll never buy or reccomend Corsair again.

You might also consider OCZ, I've had very good luck with it, my editor has also had very positive experiences with as well.
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited January 2006
    madmat wrote:
    This Patriot ram for $238 has tighter timings than the Corsair and I can tell you from personal experience that it's very nice indeeed.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220040

Yes, I'm on a Patriot binge but I've got a thing against Corsair...I spent some major cash on Corsair ram in '03 for this PC and it was terrible ram, I RMA'd it and still had nothing but problems with it and the "Ram Guy" from their forums was less than helpfull. Personally, I'll never buy or reccomend Corsair again.

You might also consider OCZ, I've had very good luck with it, my editor has also had very positive experiences with as well.

Just checked the link. The RAM does look pretty impressive. Reviews were pretty positive across the board as well. And the price is right in line with what I was wanting to spend.

I'll definitely be considering this kit when I order the rest of my parts in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the recommendation...
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited January 2006
    OCZ Platinum or Gold 2 gig kits. At some point, I'm going to be switching out my 4 sticks of OCZ plat rev 2 for a 2 gig kit of this.