Desktop is sirening at me.

fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I had a lan saturday. Played on computer all day and didnt have one problem. After having NOT been moved at all, I turned it on the next day (attempted) but only got beeps (one tone, over and over). Nothing displayed on monitor at all. I reseated video card, swapped out video card with another, reseated memory to no avail.

Brought it back upstairs and cleared cmos a dozen times, unplugged power, pulled out motherboard battery and unplugged atx power connector. Now, at this point, I can get the POST screen but I get the siren. This is at my overclocked settings which have been stable for atleast a year, I believe. I have swapped out processor with my parents socket A barton, but that didnt work either (could get into windows, but almost immediately started beeping and shut itself down). Have reseated ram, only used one stick instead of 2, and reseated video card. I have a 300W power supply that is just lying around, but I dont know if 300W is sufficient.

I believe that either my power supply is shot or my mother board is shot. Any input would be great.
NF7-S
GeForce 6800 128 mb
Mobile 2600+ barton
420W TurboLink(?) power supply that came with my Aspire case.
Corsair XMS 3200

In my messing around, there was a point when I would get the siren while in the bios. I could get to pc health status and noticed that my processor was only at 45C, so its not turnign itslef off because of heat.

I am using this computer at the fastest I can get it. I normally have it runnign at about 202 x 12 for about 2.4Ghz.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    is the repeated beep long or short?
  • fudgamfudgam Upstate New York
    edited January 2006
    The original beeping was long and slow, and all the same tone.

The siren that I ONLY get now is 2 tones, high, low, high, low kinda fast I would say.
  • edited January 2006
    what BIOS do you have?
    edited January 2006
    Phoenix Award Bios V 6.00PG

I have never updated my bios.
  • edited January 2006
    I have personally experienced the long repeating same tone beep before... that happened when I tried increasing the voltage to the RAM and ended up frying one of the sticks. Once I figured out which stick was causing it I removed it and everything was fine... ended up relplacing it the next day. But concerning the high/low toned beeps I found a site that might be helpful http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm ... according to the site, repeating high/low beeps means "Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed" and high beeps while the pc is running = "Overheated CPU". Hope it helps some...
    edited January 2006
    Just tried using the 300W power supply but I still cant raise the clock speed or raise voltages without it sirening at me. I guess this rules out power supply also.
    edited January 2006
    Im going over to my friends house to watch a movie so Im gonna bring my mobo. He has a Socket A barton system running similar to mine. Ill plug his stuff up to my mobo and see what happens.
    edited January 2006
    Wow. Turns out that my cpu cant handle what it used to. WEIRD. Ive brought the Vcore way down and now it seems to work fine.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    If you had the vcore turned up too far you will get the sieren. That has to be the most annoying sound I ever got from a mobo.

Check out thrax's thread.http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2770
  • edited January 2006
    Another part of your problem could still be your psu. I got 1 of those turbo link 420 psu's in a case I bought once and it's by far the worst POS I've ever used to try powering a system with in my life. Piss-poor rails and poor regulation to boot.:mad: I ended up salvaging the fans out of it and threw the rest in the garbage.