Help with homepage/forum

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Internet & Media
Ok, so im a life scout (woo woo) working on my eagle and everything, and lately, I've been quite board at the meetings and usually end up gathering a group of friends and going to mcdonalds bcause we have nothing better to do..(i know, pitifull) but that doesnt really have anything to do with it.

My leaders asked me to make a website for the troop, they are wanting to go through the geocities and pay $7 a month or whatever. I told them I'd make the site, but I wasnt going to use geocities. I told them I could get them hosted for around $5 a month + domain registration. Im going to tell you howI think this works and I want you to tell me if its right.

Register for hosting, I get an ip address, register a domain, enter ip address of server, add my content, all is well.

is this right. and are their any better deals or better companys for the same price. I want enough space at least one gig,(for pics) and at least 10gigs of badwidth per month. Shorty said something to me about sacrenet but it was only 500 megs and I dont think thats gonna do it.

okay and next, the real question at hand. I want a forum and site running on the server. I want the index page to come up with a banner/image type link to the message forums. and this im sure is possible. but im a little foggy on how to set up phpBB, which im gonna use cause its free (hells yeh!)

I want it to be where the scouts can register at the forums, but I have to approve them before they can fully register, cause I want it to only be for my troop. to get the message out about important dates and such.

how hard is it to skin phpbb and get it fully running. I'll probably end up taking a crash course in php since ive heard it's close to C++ in syntax (correct?). It'll probably end up looking a little rickety at first but I'll work on it as a project. I just need to get the details down on paper so that the "commitee" can go over it and get some money into my hands.

and do I have to run anything in conjunction with phpbb, or can it be a standalone system. im wanting to make some image galleries (for the main page, not forum) with php to where the leaders (and me) can upload pictures without a hassel, but the scouts have to submit the picture for approval before they are dumped into the image gallery.

and on domain registration, is that a lifetime thing, as in you own it after you pay the $5-$xx. Or is it a one year lease so to speak?

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    forgot to ask, would you recomend that I go with a linux server or win. 2003 server. Im thinking a linux server, but what are the pro's and cons of each, if you wanna type them up.