Can't install XP

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Thought I may as well start a new thread about this, need help kinda asap.

Basically when I put the XP-CD in, when it should say "Press any key to boot from CD...." it instead just tries to load something immediately from CD and the screen just goes black.

The machine is an Athlon64 X2 3800+ on an Asus A8N-E with an nVidia 7800GT and a Maxtor 200GB SATA drive.

So, any ideas? =/

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Well, on top of all this my DVD-RW drive just died so I had to replace the drive with one from another PC. Anyway, I managed to get around the black screen by unplugging the HD when the CD normally detects hardware then plugging it back in when the blue setup screen appears. I select the drivers off the floppy disk (I had to make it with the ide/xp folder from the nForce driver download) and it allows me to partition the drive and format, but then it asks for the disk labeled "nvidia raid driver (scsi)" which doesn't make sense as it has loaded it once and I don't really know what it is asking for as the floppy disk with the drivers on is still in the drive.

Ugh, nearly 1am :(
    edited January 2006
    Nevermind, managed to make a workaround myself.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Enverex, what was the work-around? (just curious)
    edited January 2006
    I had to enable RAID (turning the SATA into an SATA RAID controller) and make the drive a single JBOD array I then had to streamline the nForce SATA/RAID drivers into XP with SP2 and then install it.

I hate Windows. heh.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Thanks!

I haven't dabbled into anything SATA (much less raid setups) good to know for future reference.