which slot for single video on crossfire?

rykoryko new york
edited January 2006 in Hardware
can anybody tell me which slot i would have to use in single (non-crossfire) config on this (or any other crossfire) board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130038

if i have to use the bottom one for single config that would be very stupid...i won't buy if this is the case. the adapter card looks like it's in the top slot, so it doesn't look good....can anyone confirm?

thanks!

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    In all the setups I have seen, it is the first slot. I'm not sure why this particular board has an adapter in the first slot though.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    It is always the top slot. is slot#! or PCI-E slot 1... it is onyl when you use crossfire that the adapter card needs to be in slot 1
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    It's the slot farthest from the cpu ...not the one with that little card in it.
    The little card is just a place holder until you decide to run 2 cards.
    edited January 2006
    my crossfire setup is opposite of what you just said Csimon
    edited January 2006
    my crossfire setup is opposite of what you just said Csimon

really?:confused: You have the rd480 chipset right?
    I've been wrong before but I'm 99.9% sure.
    When I got my A8r-MVP it had a cardboard card in the slot and in a static wrap there was a replacement card. It specifically said to replace the cardboard in the slot with the slot card if not using dual video cards.

What board do you have?
    edited January 2006
    Ati Sb450

Im running this mobo with a X850XT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136165
    edited January 2006
    Ati Sb450
    Hmmm ...does it a slot card like the one in the link?
    edited January 2006
    It came with a plastic filler! in the top slot... but nothing else. It does say you can put the card in either slot, but when a master card is present it must be in slot 1

Mine is not a master card
    edited January 2006
    It came with a plastic filler! in the top slot... but nothing else. It does say you can put the card in either slot, but when a master card is present it must be in slot 1

Mine is not a master card
    I've read about the master cards somewhere but I don't think it applies on this chipset.
    I found a pic of the A8R-MVP from the anandtech review that shows the vid card and the slot card in place.

So what's a master card?
    edited January 2006
    Intresting! mine doesn't have a slot card :)
    edited January 2006
    Intresting! mine doesn't have a slot card :)
    What's a master card?
    edited January 2006
    Crossfire works with 2 cards, 1 having to be whats called master card... like if you go to Newegg and buy 2 of the same cards for Crossfire and hook them up it wont work. or it shouldn't work... you have to buy 1 regular card and a master card to get it to run crossfire. well thats how mine will work in any case from what I understand from ATI and my vendor! hence why I only have 1 card as everyone is sold out of the master card!
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    Thats pretty gay Sledge. Are the master cards any more expensive?
    edited January 2006
    Not really usually the same price, But hard to find! TBH I can't even find them online! but take in mind this is only for the X800 and X850 series cards i should say! I guess the X1xxx sieries has it built in... from what I gather... hell what do i knoe im an Nvidia guy... lol i guess with the new chips sets things have changed from what I have just said.....
    edited January 2006
    just wait and upgrade the mobo when the new rd580 comes out on the 24th or so. Eleminate the hassle!
    edited January 2006
    Elimate the hassel and get Nvidia :) 7800GTX512 :) "had to say it"
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    rtfm anyone? (j/k for those who are sensitive)
    msi.JPG 97.3K
  • rykoryko new york
    edited January 2006
    rtfm from where? i couldn't find it...but thanks for the answer. according to that diagram it seems that you need to use the bottom or master slot if you want to run a single card. well that is the most retarded thing i have ever seen.

so if i have a dual slot card running in single config, it will block all but one of the pci slots....so much for my sound card and tv tuner.... stupid, stupid, stupid.

and btw, only x800(xt) and x1800xl(xt) require the use of master cards. 2 x1300(pro)'s or x1600(pro or xt)'s can be used in crossfire without master cards from what i have read.

so rd580 comes out on the 24th? i'll be waiting i guess but it will probably be the same thing...
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I agree,

I actually didn't find it on MSI, but through Newegg. Bit of a hassle to find the manual, yes.
    edited January 2006
    ryko wrote:
    so rd580 comes out on the 24th? i'll be waiting i guess but it will probably be the same thing...
    yeah close except it will be xpress 3200.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited January 2006
    i mean i bet the bototm pciex16 slot will have to be used in single card config on the rd580 too....

so with the dfi crossfire you can run single mode in the top slot? too bad it's overpriced and it uses the crappy older ati southbridge instead of the uli one like the msi crossfire board. maybe the dfi rd580 will be the way to go?

i had such high hopes for the msi one since it is the right price/features...the only hold up for me is the stupid bottom slot. :banghead:
    edited January 2006
    I think that both slots on the rd580 will equal and that you can choose which slot to use ...I could be wrong.