Juddery mouse

EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Well, seems not everything is working yet.

When I move the mouse around in Windows you can see it doesn't move smoothly and seems to judder at some points. It's not the mouse itself as when it judders it's like it's catching up with itself so it still moves the right distance, just in a rather unsmooth fashion. It's a basic USB MS Intellimouse and I've never had any problems before and really can't think of anything it could be. There isn't anything running in the background to cause any load at all and rebooting doesn't help.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Is anything else acting up? Any programs running iffy?
    The reason I ask, my wife's maching had the skipping mouse problem, she noticed some simple card game had started acting up also. I figured time to get the dust bunnies out. The hard drive was hot to the touch. (hot enough to pull my hand back when I brushed up against it)

Just a personal experience, swapped drives and she is happy. Drive is sitting here waiting for diagnostic test.

Just re-read your other thread, It wouldn't be a setting with the drive would it?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Nope, everything else is fine and it worked fine in Linux. Can't see why the HD (while not in use) would make the mouse skippy. It does it all the time even when the computer is doing nothing at all, I can move the mouse and it is quite weird, it's like it's rubber-banding a little (small amounts) as it goes along.
    edited January 2006
    Ok, found out what it is. Whenever the NIC is in use (regardless what program is transfering data) the mouse runs badly. That is... quite annoying (I'm using the onboard nForce GiB NIC).
    edited January 2006
    Nope, it's not the NIC, it's whenever it is reading or writing to the HD that does it.... and it's really annoying...
    edited January 2006
    Ok, it's not the HD, it's the processor. Whenever it's doing anything that requires any amount of usage the mouse judders around. I tried installing the AMD drivers for the X2 and it made no difference... this sucks :( I thought an X2 was supposed to speed up Windows, not make it run like ass =/
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Heat and clock-throttling? (I'm grasping at straws)
    edited January 2006
    It maxes out at like 40'c under load so I doubt it's temps. It ran perfectly under Linux too, it's just Windows...
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Have a look at this : http://support.microsoft.com%3Fkbid=896256/

Really made a difference in my X2 performance in a lot of areas.

I have the file if needed (WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-ENU.exe)

It's 2.46mb.
    edited January 2006
    That link doesn't work...
    Ok, found it anyway, yeah, if you could email that fix to ben@atomnet.co.uk I'd really appreciate it, thanks.
    edited January 2006
    Nope, installing that Hotfix did nothing. I noticed that people stated that it wouldn't make any difference for people not using "Cool 'n' Quiet" anyway, and it didn't. Turned CnQ on and still no difference anyway.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Nope, installing that Hotfix did nothing. I noticed that people stated that it wouldn't make any difference for people not using "Cool 'n' Quiet" anyway, and it didn't. Turned CnQ on and still no difference anyway.

Ok, is the mouse on USB or PS2 port.... If USB try PS2 with adapter (Different IRQ)... And I am grasping at straws here too.
    edited January 2006
    Hmm, I don't have one of those adapters unfortunately... but... I can try the PS2 mouse from downstairs...

Oh, for the record here is some more detailed processor, mobo and RAM info: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=63759

The Voltage seems to be bouncing between 1.376 and 1.36 which seems a little odd too...
    edited January 2006
    Just tried a purely PS/2 mouse and it did the same...

/me sighs
    This X2 isn't really being the performance boost I'd hoped it would be, it's just irritating at the moment.