can't complete OS boot

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys,

I come to you humbled and not sure what to do.

Story (short), I flashed my bios to newest vers., worked fine for a week but twice had an error that it was looking for a raid array. I don't have a raid array.
I did not have it enabled in the bios. I had a game lock up on loading, so I reboot. got the detecting array error again. reboot, error again reboot. WTF

Reset the bios and it started the OS sequence, BSD,reboot. Can't seem to get it to complete the OS boot. I cannot startup in safe mode, same problem. It happens at random times in the OS sequence. sometimes the welcome screen shows up, sometimes not. I flashed the bios to a slightly older one, not the original, same problem.:(

WTF should I look for?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    What is the exact error message on your BSOD?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    random best I can tell they flash off so fast. Two of them said physical memory dump...... I am running memtest right now.
    edited January 2006
    Go to System Properties>>Advanced>>Startup & Recovery>>Settings and uncheck "Automatically Restart". You should then be able to see the whole message. :)
    edited January 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Go to System Properties>>Advanced>>Startup & Recovery>>Settings and uncheck "Automatically Restart". You should then be able to see the whole message. :)
    Can't, I never make it into windows.

I just received some errors w/ memtest, so I took out 1 stick, cranked it up and got this message.

file is missing or corrupt. \window\system32\config\system

What do I do with that?
    edited January 2006
    Zuntar wrote:
    ...file is missing or corrupt. \window\system32\config\system

What do I do with that?
    You are not alone in that problem. I'd read through that thread and see what has worked for others.

Good call on the memory - at least it's cheap to replace these days, and possibly under lifetime warranty.
    edited January 2006
    UPDATE:

Both sticks of RAM are fine, Mobo is bad. :scratch:Right?
    I only get memtest errors when I use slots 2 & 3, so I slapped the RAM in the wifes system and they memtest just fine.

If so I'm screwed..... gotta get a socket 754 mobo, about $100, or I have to sink alot more, about $800, to go 939. To go 939 I would have to get the mobo, CPU, video card and PSU. :shakehead

I don't want to get another socket 754. :rant:
    edited January 2006
    What motherboard do you currently have?
    edited January 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    What motherboard do you currently have?
    MSI NEO platinum...its all in the sig.