CD Playback problem in Winamp

edited January 2006 in Hardware
i always play music in Winamp, and have worked out the bugs in it. but today is a different story. its crashed a couple times, and now when i playback a cd through Winamp, it sounds skippy. when i play an mp3 direct from my PC, it sounds fine. only with cds do i get a skip. for the past week or so i've been playing cds in my computer without a problem, but today for some reason it just doesn't want to cooperate. i've searched through the Winamp forums but have found no resolve. any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited January 2006
    have you tried other cd's? have you checked the cd for scratches and other things? also make sure your cd drive is good.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    Have you tryed reinstalling winamp ?.
  • edited January 2006
    i've reinstalled Winamp, tried numerous cds, tried 2 cd drives, and change the IDE cable. nothing worked.
    edited January 2006
    Maybe your codecs or something. I doubt its something with the actual program Winamp. Are you using the newest version of Winamp - 5.12?
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited January 2006
    Try an older version of Winamp. The newer versions have lots of problems. I use version 2.95 with no issues at all. Here is a link to the older versions.....
    http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp
    In fact you can get older versions of many programs here. Good site to bookmark..
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    Very good point 5.X is a good deal more buddy then 2.X was.
  • edited January 2006
    i use Audioscrobbler, and it doesn't work to well with older versions of Winamp.

the strangest thing is is that it just started happening yesterday evening. for the past week its played fine.
    edited January 2006
    Well have you tried using different versions of Winamp yet?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    What DMA/PIO setting is the cdrom drive using? (Check under the advanced tab on the IDE Controller where it's attached.)
  • edited January 2006
    edited January 2006
    Change it to "DMA if available" and see if the problem goes away.
  • edited January 2006
    I LOVE YOU! IT WORKS!

now i must dance to The Chinkees. good day.
    edited January 2006
    Just for future reference, if your drive has trouble reading a disc Windows will try and "help" you by lowering the data transfer mode (DMA is much better than PIO, by the way). I periodically check mine to make sure it hasn't been hobbled by a quick "fix".

Glad you got it going. :)