X2 Problems

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I have been running one instance of folding (graphic client) and another (console "as a service from desktop") for a week on my new X2 3800 @ stock settings. The graphic client hasn't missed a lick but the service has run the first 3 projects fine but after that they always error with an early end after about 10% completed. I have tried relaxing my memory timings but that didn't work. I then thought I may need a newer bios, which is anther story.

System is:
DFI Lanparty UT NF4SLI-DR
510-2B (Dr. Woo) bios
X2 3800
1 Gig (2x512) G.Skill 4400LE (TCCD)
ATI X800XL
PC P&C 510SLI PSU

This is not a new rig, just a new CPU and it ran great before. My only problem is the second instance of folding.

Now for the rest of the story.........
While flashing to N4D623-3 bios I had a bad flash for unknown reasons. So I am out of it for a little while. I have no idea why it borked as I have flashed hundreds of times. This time it came up after the flash and hitting F1 at the prompt with a screen "Searching floppy for media....."

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Oh yea, Does the original problem of one core running fine and the other not seeming to be right fall under the fix contained in the new bios I was trying to flash, "fixed X2 performance problem"? I can't find much very detailed info on the matter.
    edited January 2006
    Just tried CMOS jumper again and now it is dead. Powere light on case flashes and fans spin but that's it. In light of all the weird crap that has happened with my systems in the past few months I am not going to try a hot swap so I don't bork anything else. Confidence right now is very low. Heck, the bulb in my desklight that I use for my bench blew when I turned it on and my flashlight was dead. Maybe I don't need to touch anything electrical right now! Maybe I'm like Miles on "Surface" and turning into one of the creatures. ;)

EDIT
    I think I still have a sense of humor.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I've got folding running on both cores but both are as services. I used the install guide that ran two instances with different IDs.. affitinity is controlled by the service when you run the -configonly switch :)

What you are describing with the now dead motherboard sounds horribly like what Bothered had with his system. Ran and ran then after a couple of days.. stopped posting. I wish I had more to suggest to you right now but I sadly don't :(

Get it working again and I can help you with the folding problem :)
    edited January 2006
    Dan
    Thanks for the reply. The board is only dead after a bad flash. I think my haste in preparing the floppy for flashing is now at fault. I normally have been religious about the process of floppy preperation. I normally reformat a fairly new floppy or use a new one, then do the DRFlash abd extract the utility and .bin file to it. This time I took a shortcut and used the floppy I used for flashing the same board last week to accomodate the X2 CPU and deleted the old .bin files and copy and pasted the new bios to it while leaving the awdflash.exe on it. Since this is the only time I deviated from my normal routine and it is the only bad flash I ever had I will assume that to be the culpret on that part of things.

I am more interested in if the new bios that I was trying to flash to would help or if it is more of a problem with my folding set-up. I can't help but wonder if a combination of new bios and setting up my folding as 2 services rather than one graphic console and one service on desktop would change things drastically. I did notice the first Tinker on the graphic did run a bit slower than it should have.

I did just order a new bios chip from badflash dot com, programed w/ the new bios.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Set up two services. Best way to guarantee processor affinity (forcing each f@h to use a specific CPU core)
    edited January 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    Set up two services. Best way to guarantee processor affinity (forcing each f@h to use a specific CPU core)
    Will do, as soon as I get going again.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    You have 2 dfi boards right? Just hotflash the bad bios on the other. You can do it from windows actually. That's IF Winflash runs on 64-bit off course.
    edited January 2006
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    You have 2 dfi boards right? Just hotflash the bad bios on the other. You can do it from windows actually. That's IF Winflash runs on 64-bit off course.
    With the way my luck has been running lately I think I will wait for my new chip from badflash. ;)
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    have you applied the MS hotfix for AMD dual cores? There is one for X2 and a different one (I think it's different) for the Opteron.
    If you need linkage I can get that.
    edited January 2006
    csimon wrote:
    have you applied the MS hotfix for AMD dual cores? There is one for X2 and a different one (I think it's different) for the Opteron.
    If you need linkage I can get that.
    Yes, I need linkage. My shifter is broken. ;)
    edited January 2006
    I'm very sorry I didn't respond sooner Larry. When I saw your reply I thought it was to another thread. Very sorry.

Rather than post a link directly to the hotfix I'm linking to xtremesystems and a thread on "How to properly install..." This will be way more helpful and save you tons of heartache I hope.

Let me know how it goes please. "How to install the AMD X2 drivers, hotfix, the correct way."

This is what the instructions involve:

1. Download and install the "dual-core" fix for your cpu.
    2. Edit the registry (there is a .reg in zip form you can download if you scroll down a little)
    3. Edit the boot.ini to include /usepmtimer.
    4. Reboot

Also, if you're registered at xtremesystems you can log in and thank GAR for the instructions or ask questions if you have any issues.

Thanks
    csimon
    edited January 2006
    Thank you Chris! :)
    edited January 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    Thank you Chris! :)
    You're welcome and I hope it solves your problem! :thumbsup:
    edited January 2006
    The X2 3800 I got was part of a combo and I was going to try the board while waiting for my bios chip to arrive. But the board was total crap so I returned it and the 3800 (had to return them together as they were a combo) and I just ordered an Opty 170. I hope I have better success with this one than I did trying to OC the 175 I got before. Hopefully I will have everything here by the weekend.
    edited January 2006
    Got any update there Larry?
    edited January 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Got any update there Larry?
    I got everything I need but after a 79 hour workweek that was only 5 days long I slept most of today. Tomorrow will be spent getting SM32 up and running. I will most likely end up having to wait till next weekend to get my rig up again. <sigh>
    edited February 2006
    I finally got it up and running again with the new bios chip from badflash and the new Opteron 170. Check out what I learned on the "No Post" problem in my help thread here. I will let it run stability untill after work tomorrow. Then I will set everything back up to normal and see about overclocking over the weekend. :D