PSU or video problem

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
A few months back I was starting to have some instability. At first while playing games the VPU recover thingy would kick in and I had to restart. Then, while playing the computer would BSOD saying ati2dvag caused a problem. I reverted to older drivers and everything worked fine.

Came time to format and I thought the newer drivers would work again but I guessed wrong. Got the same problems and ended up disconnecting my second dvd drive. I think it's either the PSU not giving enough juice or my video card is dying (2-3yrs old). Didn't have a problem again till now.

Since yesterday I've had 3 VPU recovers and 1 BSOD. This problem only happens while gaming (not sure if it happens in other 3d apps). Any theories? I ask theories cause I don't have a spare PSU and I've got a crappy spare video card that I'd rather wait for the current one to die instead of installing it.

[Edit]
Do'h! I forgot to post specs.

AMD AthlonXP 2400+
Asus A7N8X
768MB of Samsung DDR333
2x 80GB HDD's (Maxtor and WD)
ATi Radeon 9700 NP (w/ Cat's 5.13)
Nec DVDRW
Win XP Pro
330W Antec PSU

Comments

• GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited January 2006
    Sounds like overheating.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    I'm with GrayFox on this one.

It wouldn't hurt to see what your voltages look like, though.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    From bios:

Motherboard: 36C
    CPU: 33-36C

+3.3: 3.29V
    +5: 4.83V
    +12: 12.09
    vcore: 1.69-.71

Currently running F@H and the max the temps have been is 49C.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited January 2006
    Those voltages are all within specs. To be sure you should check with a volt meter. Sometimes bios isnt correct. Dont try this if you dont know what you are doing.
    Temps seem ok but that isnt under load. You should download a temp monitoring program and check at full load. I use motherboard monitor
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    The only thing that bothers me about your temps is that the MB is running a little warmer than the CPU. That can't be right, leading me to mistrust the rest.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Yeah. I think MBM read it wrong. When I ran F@H, the temp that rose was the case and diode temp (I believe the case one is the cpu). I think I usually changed that before but it's been awhile since I've used MBM.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    Also you could try dis-ableing the VPU recovery on your card. I don't quite remember why (instability in older cards?) now I just do it out of habit.
    9700 pro (aiw) with 5.11 cats.

sorry for not researching further, still working on 1st cup of coffee.