To go SLI or to not go SLI?

indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I bought myself an SLI capable motherboard, saying to myself that "hey, it allows me more upgrade options." but i am beginning to think that when i feel i am due for a video card upgrade i'm not gonna want to get another 6600gt, but something along the lines of a single 6800gt or 7800gt for the 256 memory interface, among other things.

my question is...any idea what the performance boost of 6600gt(x2) compares to a single 6800gt? and would it be worth my while to just hold off and get a steeper card?

thanks.

Comments

• ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited January 2006
    From what I have read, if I were you. I would sell the 6600GT and get a 7800GT. The 7800GT will blow 2 6600GT's or 2 6800GT's out of the water. Do a little research on Google. This 7800GT is one kick butt of a card..Wish I could afford one..
  • edited January 2006
    If I were you I'd:

1. Buy a really good SLI capable card (like the 7800GT).
    2. Use the 7800GT alone until the card gets "old".
    3. Buy another 7800GT for considerably less than the first, and SLI it with your original card for twice the performance.
    4. Once the pair are too slow and a new card is released which is faster than both 7800GTs in SLI on it's own, buy it and move back to
    step 1.
  • edited January 2006
    Definately don't bother with SLI. SLI is fine if you're rich and super obsessed with getting good graphics, but it doesn't work economically as a stepping stone. Besides, going with a 7800 will get you more than just improved performance, but more efficient energy use, less heat in the case, and new features in the chipset.
  • indigoflow_asindigoflow_as Westerville, OH
    edited January 2006
    who thinks ill run into some kind of a VGA vs CPU bottleneck by getting such a card? i dont know about such things...cause if i shell out for a 7800gt i will definitely not be able to upgrade the CPU...not that its that old, just cant win w/ technology.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    TheSmJ wrote:
    If I were you I'd:

1. Buy a really good SLI capable card (like the 7800GT).
    2. Use the 7800GT alone until the card gets "old".
    3. Buy another 7800GT for considerably less than the first, and SLI it with your original card for twice the performance.
    4. Once the pair are too slow and a new card is released which is faster than both 7800GTs in SLI on it's own, buy it and move back to
    step 1.

I approve.
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2006
    who thinks ill run into some kind of a VGA vs CPU bottleneck by getting such a card? i dont know about such things...cause if i shell out for a 7800gt i will definitely not be able to upgrade the CPU...not that its that old, just cant win w/ technology.

I doubt you'll run into a bottleneck but if you do, take a moment, stand back & look at the hardware you've bought and lovingly set up, then overclock the hell out it. Seriously, with the gear you've got, bottlenecks are not going to be an issue with a little bit of overclocking action.