News: New Nvidia NForce2 Chipsets

Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
edited June 2003 in Hardware
The Inquirer: Nvidia segments Nforce 2, just like its hero Intel

Nvidia gets first Nforce 2 MCP-S/1000 samples

By Mike Magee: Tuesday 10 June 2003, 08:11
ROADMAPS SEEN by the INQUIRER at the Blue Posts hostelry in Kingly Street, W1, show Nvidia is on target with its Nforce 2 MCP-S/1000, which includes S-ATA(n), RAID and Gigabit Ethernet.

Samples of the silicon for the chipset will be delivered to its motherboard customers within the next 10 days, it has transpired.

As revealed earlier in the INQ, Nforce 2 MCP-S and MCP-S1000 will include eight USB 2 ports, use Nvidia RAID and Gigabit Ethernet, and include two Serial ATA hot plug ports.

Here is how Nvidia will play this one, segmenting the market just like its hero, Intel.

MCP-S has two S-ATA ports with integrated PHY, MCP-S-RAID includes RAID 0, RAID 1, and RAID 0+1, while MCP-S1000 adds Nvidia Gigabit Ethernet. This will allow motherboard makers to differentiate their offerings.

MCP-S-RAID has that little extra hardware accelerated touch.

The MCP-S1000 is aimed at what Nvidia describes as the "de luxe" end of the marketplace, with a discrete PC based Gigabit Ethernet interface, a little like its hero, Intel. Throughput on the "de luxe" version will be around 0.7Gb/s.

Volume production for these will be in August and Nvidia hopes to make them available in volume in September.

Nvidia's Windows utility will support all Nforce chipsets, and let mobo makers adjust and view the settings of a board. µ

See Also
Nvidia's Crush K8S (Opteron) to tape out in July

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    DAMMIT.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Y'know!?! Seriously! I JUST BOUGHT this NF7-S 2.0 !!!!

Ah well, the next move for me is dually, hopefully Opteron... I'll wait it out and buy after the Ath64 pans out.

You can NEVER KEEP UP..
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I have a hard time seing how they can squeeze twice as much bandwidth as the current Nforce 2 to eat up the loss from the Canterwood. It´s funny. I just said to a guy that the Nforce2 was dead and old at the same time it came out in the stores. Whats so special on this Nforce in terms of speed compared to the one´s we have now?
  • edited June 2003
    Not speed, Mack; it's features this time. Built in RAID 0, 1, 10 on 1 version and all that plus gigabit lan on the other chip, so the mobo makers don't have to add these on separately and they don't use the pci bus.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I find that weird really. Raid 0 and a lot of other numbers have almost been standard on NF2 so far. What Nvidia and AMD needs right now is speed IMO. The positive i can see with this is that the NF2 has to get really cheap without any options. Even sub $50 even?