Deadlines and old computers...

godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
edited January 2006 in Folding@Home
Right now I got both the laptop and the Duron box folding. The Duron is a 5-year-old Abit KT7 (no -A or RAID) with a 650 @ 950, XP Pro, 384MB PC133, and occasionally likes to remind me and other family members that it can crash whenever it durn well pleases. I set it on deadlineless since for some reason the work packets have gone from about 1 or 2 per day a few years ago to about 1 or 2 per week.

My 3.5 year old laptop (P4-M 1.6, 384MB DDR2600) is somewhat faster at this, though marginally. It too is set for deadlineless, as it often gets put in Hibernate and carried around daily.

I'd upgrade, but with the lack of interesting (to me anyway) games and my absence from the PC scene for a number of years, I've kinda lost interest. Also, with my expensive ongoing losing battle with college (saving :rant: for a separate Pub thread), it's been better to not even window-shop.

I'm not sure if deadlineless is the best option, but i'd rather get fewer points for something rather than no points for something late. I really couldn't find any documentation regarding points, deadlines, wasted-effort warning messages, etc.

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    I'd stick with deadlineless, at least on the Duron. AMD rigs have a higher ppw average on the deadlineless ones anyway.

For the P4 I personally would probably switch over and compare the new ppw average to what you have going now. The first time (if ever) that I lost a WU due to missing the deadline I would probably switch back, though. Most of the deadlines are set far enough in the future that even a part-time rig will likely complete them in time.
  • godzilla525godzilla525 Western Pennsylvania Member
    edited January 2006
    Thanks. I'll give that a shot and see what happens. :)