IC/SM 12 Very Sick

JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
edited March 2006 in Folding@Home
Just to let you all know I noticed that IC12 was very erratic at turning in results other day so I had a look at her but couldn't see anything wrong.

Then I was doing my ironing yesterday morning & could here a beeping noise coming from IC12, had a look & the screen had a warning box saying possible hardware failure. Rebooted and she could'nt find her hard disk, rebooted again and all was fine for about 10mins then it happened again, so powered her down.

I won't have time to investigate further till the weekend but as long as it's the hard disk thats gone then we're ok as I've got a couple of spares.

I'll keep you all updated when I know more.

Regards

Jim

Comments

• dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited January 2006
    Sorry to hear she has problems. Hope it's nothing too serious.

Thanks for the Heads up.:thumbsup:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Cheers Jim :)

Sounds like the classic "will it, won't it" hard drive spaz of death :(
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    From my experience... some hard drives that are about to die seem to love to start when they're cool and then freeze up after a brief run. Turn them off for a few hours and the work again... bottom line, sounds like the HD is on its way south.... see if you can run a DIAG on it and if it's bad, let us know and we can send another HD...
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    What brand and model# HD is in there now? (I ought to have this in my records, but I don't. Shame on me... :-/ )

I'd run the test from the HD manufacturer. I'll be glad to help you find it. :)
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited January 2006
    I think the hard disk is one I donated, which means it's probably an old Western Digital one.

I'll run diagnostic tests at the weekend, I think i've already got them on a floppy somewhere.

Cheers for all the help guys

Jim
    edited February 2006
    Any luck with this? :)
    edited February 2006
    Um yes & no. In the limited time I've had available, I've tested the hard disk & that showed no errors, upon rebuild it displayed the same symptoms so I'm now thinking psu (dodgy wire/connector) or more serious a motherboard issue.

I got back my spare psu at the weekend & I have another motherboard I can use so I'd expect to have this nailed in the next few days.

Apologies for the delay/lack of update but SM12 will be up shortly.
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for checking in, Jimborae. :)

As always, we have parts available for Hosts in need. I'm going to be shipping a big box over that way soon, anyway. :D
    edited February 2006
    Just to give you another update, I replaced the hard drive anyway & it turns out the nic had died as well. Reloaded the os yesterday & got her up and running.

Yeah :thumbsup:

Went to check on her this morning & the new hard disk appears to have died as well!!! I'm thinking that maybe the ide slots are crapping out, any ideas guys.

I'll report back tonight after I've done some investigation. Also can anyone see my folding sig, it appears to have disappeared but I can't see anything with the code (not that I'd know what to look for :) )
  • edited February 2006
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Jimborae wrote:
    Went to check on her this morning & the new hard disk appears to have died as well!!! I'm thinking that maybe the ide slots are crapping out, any ideas guys.

Hmm, if that's the case, maybe we could send you an PCI ATA controller card? I think I might have one. It's been so long since I've used it, I'm not entirely sure it works, but it might be worth a shot.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I also have one - a promise fasttrack 100 that I would send you. Let me know if you need it :)
    edited February 2006
    When I see hardware (seemingly) failing right and left I tend to think either dodgy PSU or that perhaps some sort of power surge knocked things over like tenpins.
    Jimborae wrote:
    ...can anyone see my folding sig, it appears to have disappeared but I can't see anything with the code (not that I'd know what to look for :) )
    Done. :)

PS - Thanks, bikerboy. :rockon:
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the replys folks. If I need a plug in card I'll let you know, I'd prefer to get her running again without one so as to save on postage but the offers are much appreciated.

I'll post again when I know more. And muchos thankyous to whoever fixed my siggy... prof ??? :)
    edited February 2006
    Ok another quick update, onto the 3rd hard disk now, os is installed & all seems sweet. She's crunching away steadily so fingers crossed & lets hope she can make it through the night without a hiccup.
    edited February 2006
    Here's hoping her troubles are over. (knock wood)

I'll be shipping SM34 to deicist in just under 24 hours. If something goes awry between now and then, let me know and I'll stick a HD in the box for him to pass along to you. Let me know within 18 hours of the time of this post and I'll have time to get it done. :)
    edited February 2006
    Prof, thanks for the offer but it seems that my crossing of fingers & your knocking on wood has worked :) Checked on her this morning before dashing out to work & she was still crunching merrily away.

So it would seem her troubles are over for now & it was just a dodgy nic & two blown hard drives.

Anyways thanks for the support fellas

:fold::fold: :smokin:
    edited February 2006
    Nice job, Jimborae. :thumbsup:
    edited February 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Nice job, Jimborae. :thumbsup:

Thanks Prof, gotta take our contractual obligations seriously ;)
    edited February 2006
    Jimborae wrote:
    Thanks Prof, gotta take our contractual obligations seriously ;)
    That goes both ways - we are obligated to support our Hosts, too. :csimon:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Jimborae... How's SM12 doing. Seems to be down again. :sad2:
    edited March 2006
    No she seems to be doing fine, crunching away 100% load

"estimated WU end Fri 17 March 19.24"

Must be a big gromac or something. :)

I did notice something though & the date was set wrong on the pc, was showing 11th of march so I changed it to the 16th. Don't no if that would have an effect.
    edited March 2006
    With that hardware it's no surprise. :(

Have you given any more thought to the upgrade possibilites? We intend to help you get this rig flying high. :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2006
    Hey Jim, when you reset the day on the machine you could possibly have made the client delete the work by accident. If you don't set the client up to ignore deadlines, and then make a major date change the client thinks the wu is past deadline and deletes it. I know that a 5-6 day change shouldn't put it past a deadline on the present wu's being served, but it is still possible since they have some work being handed out with final deadlines as short as 6 days. I know this from personal experience, sadly. :( More than once I've lost work due to resetting the bios and booting up without first going into bios and resetting the date and time. Then after discovering that I forgot while in windows, I reset the date and poof, there goes a perfectly good partially finished wu. :rant:
    edited March 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Hey Jim, when you reset the day on the machine you could possibly have made the client delete the work by accident. If you don't set the client up to ignore deadlines, and then make a major date change the client thinks the wu is past deadline and deletes it. I know that a 5-6 day change shouldn't put it past a deadline on the present wu's being served, but it is still possible since they have some work being handed out with final deadlines as short as 6 days. I know this from personal experience, sadly. :( More than once I've lost work due to resetting the bios and booting up without first going into bios and resetting the date and time. Then after discovering that I forgot while in windows, I reset the date and poof, there goes a perfectly good partially finished wu. :rant:

No after updating the the date the wu finish date changed to what I posted i.e. tomorrow, so hopefully everything should be fine.

Prof, yes I'm considering things & working out what I can spare & will post in the other thread when I've sorted everything out. Most porbably at the weekend.