dell dimension 8300 struck by lightning

edited January 2006 in Hardware
my boss' dimension 8300 was struck by lightning. it would come on for about 2 seconds then shut off. i replaced the power supply w/same result. i replaced with new motherboard from dell and now it will hold power but still not boot. i checked the memory and it is still good. any suggestions?

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited January 2006
    You need to pull every card in the comptuer and check them for scorch marks. Make sure you look good. Then start putting them back in one at a time. Reboot after you put each one in (this is assuming you have graphics intigrated with the MOBO) and see if it reboots. This is basically process of elimination.

You might as well go ahead and replace your PSU also. Lightning may not have killed it, but you can bet that it damaged it and will cause problems down the road. Also check your HDD. It may also need to be replaced if nothing fried before the current got to your IDE plugs.

Lightning is a fickle beast. It can burn out everything or jump around to different components.
  • edited January 2006
    i have replaced the power supply with a functioning one and got the same result. the only card is video and i will replace that regardless. i have placed the hdd in another computer and it booted. i have placed a working hdd in this computer and still do not get any post signals. even w/a bad video i should get post right? could it possibly be the cpu chip?
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited January 2006
    Thats very possiable.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    penelope13 wrote:
    ...i checked the memory and it is still good. any suggestions?
    What test did you use? I'd heartily recommend Memtest-86. Give it a couple of passes to be sure. :)
  • edited January 2006
    penelope, if the video card is bad, about the only response you might get will be a beep code, if that even. Do you have another video card you can swap in, even an old pci video card, just to see if the video card is the problem.