Ohh Yea! Unmountable Boot Volume!

J3SUSJ3SUS Waukegan,Illinois
edited January 2006 in Hardware
I have a computer in my room which I was running yesterday, the power cord got un plugged by my niece and when I restarted the computer I first saw everything was starting normally. Then there was a black and grey screen where it gave me an option to start Windows XP Pro in safe mode and normally and all that good stuff. So I chose normally and I saw the blue screeen with Unmountable Boot Volume. I quiet frankly don't have a Windows XP Install cd, and the person I bought it from didn't have one either, I changed the hard drive to a Fedora Running HDD and that worked so I changed it Back and the windows XP HDD doesnt work at all. What should I do? :banghead:

System Specs: Intel Pentium 4 at 1.1 GHz
512 MB RAM
40 GIG HDD
dont know about the mother board
New GeForce Video Card

Before yesterday everything was working just fine, but when my niece unplugged my power cord I think my boot file got messed up or some sector is corrupted. Need help!

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    You're kind of stuck without an install disk. Others may have ideas though. That said, a power glitch can have all sorts of issues. I'd run Memtest86+ just to be sure you can move on confident you aren't hurt there. Basically make a boot disk with Memtest on it, boot and test for a pass (this could take a couple of hours on your machine). If you detect a problem and have more than one board, you can test them one at a time to find the bum. Also, if you need files off that drive, you could try slaving it on another machine and copy off the files you need. It may also tell you what kind of shape your drive is in.
  • J3SUSJ3SUS Waukegan,Illinois
    edited January 2006
    Can I make the HDD slave to where a cdrom drive goes?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    J3SUS wrote:
    Can I make the HDD slave to where a cdrom drive goes?
    You'd be better off switching the jumper the the cdrom drive to Slave and hooking the HD up as the Master. Make sure the Master drive is at the end of the IDE cable.
  • J3SUSJ3SUS Waukegan,Illinois
    edited January 2006
    Did you contradict the guy who posted up over there? Arent I suppose to connect the Hdd as slave to my friends hdd as master?:wow2:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

For data recovery, yes, hooking it up as a slave drive is fine. For normal operation once it's back in your own machine you'll want it to be a master drive. :)