New Mobo, New Problems

edited January 2006 in Hardware
can i get a break!?!?

yesterday my brother gave me his Athlon 64-bit processor and motherboard (Abit AV8). everything runs fine except THE AUDIO! all i get is hissing and fuzz from my speakers and headphones when i try either one. even with NO sound device installed (onboard or crappy SB Live!) i still get fuzz. this is very irritating because the only thing i do on this computer is listen to music!

PLEASE help me, i beg of you kind people!!

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Which driver are you using? If you don't have it already, the latest VIA AC97 Vinyl Audio driver might straighten it out. :)
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    You need the Realtek Drivers for the Realtek ALC850 (& Below) The latest drivers are the v3.81 2005-12-28

You can find them at Realtek or at MajorGeeks
  • edited January 2006
    i have tried the latest Realtek ones (v3.81) and that didn't work. the odd thing is is that there is still fuzz and crap even when there is nothing installed! i think theres a problem with the mobo..

EDIT - i just tried the vinyl drivers. didn't help.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Omega65 wrote:
    You need the Realtek Drivers...
    Oops... Ignore my VIA comment, Mayor. I saw AC'97 and ran with it like a scared rabbit... :hiding:

What are the sound settings in the BIOS? What OS are you using?
  • edited January 2006
    i have the "Onboard Audio" enable and i'm running Winows Professional.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    Mayor wrote:
    i have tried the latest Realtek ones (v3.81) and that didn't work. the odd thing is is that there is still fuzz and crap even when there is nothing installed! i think theres a problem with the mobo..
    My AV8 runs fine with the Realtek v3.75 drivers. Without the drivers installed- no sound at all. So It's probably the mobo.
  • edited January 2006
    i installed my SB Live! and everything seems to be working. i used to have a Hyperthreading processor, so that made the thing buggy and i always strayed away from using it.

the onboard audio has to be messed up because not one driver worked. oh well, all fixed for now.