Unbootable_boot_volume

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

I'm working on a HP Pavilion 511w that has Windows XP Home Edition (Whistler) on it. I ran aboutbuster in safe mode (that's all I could access) after it was done, I restarted to see if I could get in normal mode to get to Microsoft for updates and I got the unbootable boot volume error 0x8123cc30 and 0x0000032. I tried to boot with a startup disk to get to recovery console, no luck. Everything I excute other than DIR or command.com (whice comes up with Windows Millennium) I get bad command or file name or can't run in dos mode. I tried using my Windows XP Professional CD and it won't get to the setup screen. Also it won't go back to the last good configuration.

What can I do to fix this? I can't reformat this guys PC cuz I don't have Home Edition on CD. How bout if i put his HDD in my pc and copy files to his drive to correct the problem? All I would need to know is what files are needed to start up home edition. Just a thought, your the expert. Let me know.

Have a great day and thanks bunches.

Jaggy

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    The fact that you are having boot disk problems leads me to first suggest running Memtest86+ before you do much anything else.

Read the directions- basically make a boot disk with memtest on it and boot with it. A couple of full passes should tell you what you need to know. If you detect a problem and have more than one board, test one at a time until you find the culprit and replace it.

Post back when done- your boot issues may not go away with just this possible fix.

Hope that helps :thumbsup: