How do I add a basic shoping cart?

DreamtoneDreamtone South Coast, MA (USA)
edited February 2006 in Internet & Media
I'm a newb here, and I was hoping to get some in sight on what it takes to run basic calculations on a web site. What I am looking to do is a very basic shoping cart, fill in some forms, zip codes ect.

I don't expect I will be able to do it, just looking for the basics of where to start. i.e., do I use excell, HTML, Java?? Is there any diy web sites with info that you might know of?

Thanks!

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Hi Dreamtone :)

A shopping cart requires a few things to work safely and securely. The server must support some sort of scripting language (PHP or ASP for example) and preferably you have an SSL certificate protecting the payment segment (if you choose to go down that route) :)

There are some basic PHP scripts on the web, some are very complex, some are very simple. I don't wish to put you off but you need a little programming/scripting knowledge to understand their implementation :)
  • DreamtoneDreamtone South Coast, MA (USA)
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for that info Shorty!

What about somthing like this, an excell spread sheet that does some basic calculations such as, adding multiple items, their weight, etc. then that total is the final price that all the customer does is use one PayPal button and pays that ammount. Now I only will have about 10 items to sell.

Based on this how would I go about that?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    hmm. im not sure an excel sheet can be implemented that way...many web hosting companies offer some basic type of e-commerce/e-store software. I would call your hoster and see what they say.
  • SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
    edited February 2006
    Finding a hosting service that offers the service automatically with a secure connection might be your best bet if you have little experience about this. I was in the same position as you a few years ago before I began ParagonCA.com.

Also, with a trusted host the customers will also be more comfortable with their sensitive data being transferred to a 3rd party off your website for processing the whole shopping cart.

Many small web hostign companies as well as the big ones like GoDaddy.com and Yahoo will take care of all you need with simple modules and easy to setup interfaces to get you up and running for whatever you need.