Macintosh Webcams

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Other than iSight. Do they exist? Search on newegg brought up nothing.

Is there any webcam existance that will fit this bill? Also, will videochatting on an Apple be compatable with me on the other end on my PC?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    um, i think any web cam will work..as long as it says mac compatible on the box..is that what your asking?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Well, I'd imagine that would be true. However, all the webcams I've seen so far at newegg.com, best buy, walmart even, are all PC only. I'm gathering that webcams for apples are usually firewire driven, as opposed to the standard USB on PCs. I've also read you have to buy "rights" to use a webcam driver for the USB ports on the Apple computers.

So, if there is a Mac compatable webcam and you've seen it, kindly point me in the right direction...I'm having a hard time finding them myself. :(
  • macdude425macdude425 Mr. Roger's Neighborhood
    edited January 2006
    I know, off the top of my head, that quite a few of the Logitech webcams can work with the Mac.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I have one called the ibot, great little camera ... you might want to check Fry's and such, but I think its been discontinued, cant find much info on it anymore .. If I remember correctly it was made by a company called OrangeMicro.

M
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    @ Macdude

Would my best bet be to just grab a Logitech off the shelf and try it on the mac? Are there any databases or reviews for mac-compatable webcams? I'm just usually not left this much in the dark, and the whole proprietary issue is driving me mad.

And for the second question of my origional post, what chat client would be best to use so my friend on a mac can see and talk to me on my PC?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    yeh, im pretty sure the logitecs will work. cause i was checking one out at staples and pretty sure i saw something 'bout a mac on the box. could be my imagination though. (usually is)