Monitor message: No signal input

ms3039ms3039 Bristol, England
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hello, this is the first time I've posted on here. I thought I could install my old hard drive on my friend's computer, as he is running Windows 98 and is having trouble connecting to our broadband network (we live in the same house and computers are wired through a router). He doesn't want to loose various music editing programs which he has on his HDs, so I offered him my old 40Gb drive and said I'd install Xp on it. Anyway, his computer didn't recognise this new HD, as it is a bit buggered (I just thought formatting it when installing Xp would solve that). So I replaced his 2 old HDs, and his CDRW that I'd swapped for mine. That's all I did- change those three for my two bits of hardware. When I put his old bits back in, monitor reads 'no signal input'. Tried my monitor, with no difference. His PC sounds like it's booting up OK, and gives out no funny speaker beeps. I made sure the card his monitor plugs into is connected to motherboard properly, and it looks Ok. I don't even know what his PC is, it's very old and has had lots of parts changed. Any ideas? I feel very guilty. On the similar threads on this site and others, people mentiong a jumper on motherboard to reset CMOS or BIOS. Could someone elaborate?

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I would try to see if another monitor works on the PC first, or confirm that the current monitor works on another PC.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I would try to see if another monitor works on the PC first, or confirm that the current monitor works on another PC.

I'm thinking maybe trying the same thing for the video card if this fails.

I don't know how old your friends' system is- is it possible it doesn't support a drive that large and needs a BIOS update?

If you do attempt to reset the BIOS (I'm not sure you need to do this yet, but ...) you should check the manufacturer's procedure for doing this. You may also want to replace the system board battery since the procedure generally involves removing the battery for about an hour or so and doing a jumper setting. It could be gone.
  • ms3039ms3039 Bristol, England
    edited January 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I've tried that, but still no luck. Any other ideas... Is it possible to reset BIOS or something physically through switch on motherboard?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    What brand and model# is the MB? :)
  • ms3039ms3039 Bristol, England
    edited January 2006
    Qeldroma wrote:
    I'm thinking maybe trying the same thing for the video card if this fails.

I don't know how old your friends' system is- is it possible it doesn't support a drive that large and needs a BIOS update?

If you do attempt to reset the BIOS (I'm not sure you need to do this yet, but ...) you should check the manufacturer's procedure for doing this. You may also want to replace the system board battery since the procedure generally involves removing the battery for about an hour or so and doing a jumper setting. It could be gone.

Unfortunately my PC has 'integrated graphics', so it doesn't have seperate video card I can swap with my friend's PC (which is the broken one). How do I go about identifying the make and model of the motherboard?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    ms3039 wrote:
    Unfortunately my PC has 'integrated graphics', so it doesn't have seperate video card I can swap with my friend's PC (which is the broken one).
    Can you borrow a spare elsewhere?

How do I go about identifying the make and model of the motherboard?
    Open the case and look for something stamped on the board itself.

Another method which may be of help is to run the Belarc Advisor to get a list of what's inside. :)
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    ms3039 wrote:
    Unfortunately my PC has 'integrated graphics', so it doesn't have seperate video card I can swap with my friend's PC (which is the broken one). How do I go about identifying the make and model of the motherboard?

You might see if there is another you can borrow?

If it is built by Dell or a PC system maker, use the ENTIRE PC model number. If it is home built, you should open up the case and look at the corner or edges of your motherboard- sometimes it is on or by the I/O ports. Hopefully there is a tag or inlaid label that clearly identifies the manufacturer and have a number and serial number. If you're not sure if it is or not, just write out what you see.

EDIT ADDED: Beat me to it prof- sorry, man- I'll leave it. You are in VERY good hands MS!