how would i do this?

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I have a wireless network... computer A is hooked up to the wireless network VIA wireless card. There is also an ehternet card in computer A. Now, i want to hook computer B to the network VIA computer A. Both computer A and B have ethernet cards. How would i go about hooking up computer A to computer B so that computer B leeches off the internet supplied by computer A? (i have windows xp pro)

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    crossover cable, and ICS turned on.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    speak english por favor
    edited June 2003
    ok i know what ICS is, but here is the problem, comp A is hooked up to a router, so 192.168.0.1 is already taken
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    Can't B connected directly to the router?

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    except computer A is on a wireless network, so the cross over cable wont help. Now, how do i go about changing the ICS values so that the ip for this computer wont be "192.168.0.1" because that is taken up by the router
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    So make computer B 192.168.0.2 or change computer A to be something else.
    edited June 2003
    ok i got everything going...i can enable ICS...when i enable ICS i immediatly get kicked offline... the wireless connection is still active though...byut the computer thinks its not conencted to the internet
    edited June 2003
    this is windows xp?

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    yeah...windows xp pro
    edited June 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    ok i got everything going...i can enable ICS...when i enable ICS i immediatly get kicked offline... the wireless connection is still active though...byut the computer thinks its not conencted to the internet

Check your firewall settings in windows xp on machine A. Is ICS making machine A 192.168.0.1? That would cause the problem. There should be a way to change it in windows, but I can't test it for you since i only have one NIC installed. You could also change the IP of the router.

Since windows ICS deals out IP addresses, if your router is doing DCHP you should disable that.

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    i changed my routers ip to
    so i could avoid the stooopid error when i tried to enable ICS, but when i enable ICS, the computer feels that it is not connected to the internet
  • TekGamerTekGamer Earth
    edited June 2003
    Windows xp is marvelous in this aspect...

Heres your setup...

Nic A Wireless connection PC1
    Nic B Wired connection PC1
    Nic C Wired Connection PC2

Connect Nic B to Nic C with a crossover cable
    Configure Nic B as 192.168.100.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0
    Configure Nic C as 192.168.100.2 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0
    Configure Nic C with a gateway of 192.168.100.1
    Configure Nic C with DNS server information from Router
    On PC1 highlight Nic A and Nic B right click either nic and choose bridge connection from the menu...

Thats quick and dirty xp routing...

Or...

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

and do ICS

Tek
    edited June 2003
    is a cross ovecable different than a regular cat5 cord?
    edited June 2003
    lets hope they have crossovers in one of the crappy computer stores around my block
    edited June 2003
    whenever i bridge my two connections..my computer disconnects...why
    edited June 2003
    sorry for the posts u guys i got a bit confused...but as of now..i have brideg both connections on my comp and im still online...now both computers can still see eachtoher its just that computer b (the laptop) has no internet connection why
    edited June 2003
    dns.JPG

is that the DNS in which tekgamer speaks of?
  • khankhan New
    edited July 2003
    for your reference:

a "crossover" cat5 cable is used for computer to computer connections.

a straight-through, or regular cat5 cable is used for computer-anything, anything-anything connections.

unfortunately i dont know enough about ICS to give you a walkthrough. =P good luck mate.
  • Superducky55Superducky55 Michigan
    edited July 2003
    you can make a crossover frmo a regular cat-5 by doing this:
    http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00009.asp
    Awesome site there; you can't get much more detailed instructions than that :)

BTW Thanks for posting this; i am planning on doing this in the next couple weeks for an extra folding box on my new 54g network :cool:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    An ICS machine HAS to have an IP address of 192.168.0.1 in Windows unless you do it manually.

No, thats not DNS, thats DHCP..... which is why it says DHCP, suprisingly.

So do what Tek said.

Change the IP address of the machine that is going to be the ICS machine to 196.168.100.2. Then change the laptop to 192.168.100.3. Also in the laptops network settings, set its DEFAULT GATEWAY to 192.168.100.2 and the PRIMARY DNS to 192.168.100.2 (may have to be .1).

You cant use Windows standard ICS as you are now on a different subnet and the .1 is already taken.

That should work.

NS