Need help with SLI connection HELP!!!!!!

lastsightlastsight Miami/Miramar
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Well my video cards are suppoesd to be SLI compattable but a friend has come to me and told me that the video cards arent so what can i do to find out if they are compatible or not ..... by looking at them or is there something that is suppoesd to come in the box that would tell me how the SLI connection would work....... just need help before i throw the extra video card in the carbadge

:headbange

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    what Cards are they?

All SLI cards will have a tab on the top forward part of the graphics card.

NL_6600GT_SLI_Connector.jpg

this is for Motherboards that need a crossover to attach them together...

also all SLI Mobo's will come with a Connector like this!
    * Note some MObo's do not require this connector!
    sli-connect.jpg
  • lastsightlastsight Miami/Miramar
    edited January 2006
    what Cards are they?

All SLI cards will have a tab on the top forward part of the graphics card.

NL_6600GT_SLI_Connector.jpg

this is for Motherboards that need a crossover to attach them together...

also all SLI Mobo's will come with a Connector like this!
    * Note some MObo's do not require this connector!
    sli-connect.jpg

So i have the video cards and they have that little peice on the clip art u showed now i need to know were i can buy it from and how much it costs please ...... cause i really dont wanna waist my video cards its 2 6600 gt's and what kinda of graphics would that match up 2 such as 2 6600's = 1 7800
    2 6600's = 1 6800gtx or what ???:cheers:
    edited January 2006
    I had a SLI system with 2 6600GT's from LeadTek awhile back, I would say it is comparable to 1 6800Ultra if not a little better! also your SLI Motherboard should have come with a connector for the cards. if it didn't call the manufacture and im sure they will send you one for a price :) maybe $10 - $15 if not free :)
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited January 2006
    The computer lastsight had delivered to him came with these two cards in the SLi slots but there's no connecter or the space for a connecter on the cards. I fixed the problem by taking one of the cards out and putting the other in a non-SLi slot and it runs fine.

Here's a picture of one of the cards. They're both the same.

EDIT: The cards say nothing on them about being SLI compatible, I think lastsight just made a bad decision on where he gets his parts from...

IMG_0663.jpg
    edited January 2006
    Most mobos will run 2 cards if they have extra slots, but I guarantee they are not running in SLI. they are just running... where both card will output the same data but they are not splitting the duties. In most cases it is Pointless to run more than 1 G.C. in non-SLI unless you want to run more than on monitor! Like the Flight Sim guys!

The card you posted above is not a SLI card!
  • lastsightlastsight Miami/Miramar
    edited January 2006
    i think i made an ok decision but im going the call the company and ask for the peice (probobly worng spelling) but um yeah im going to call the company and ask them to send me that peice---- because that peice u zoomed in at looks just like the video card u showed so i'll call the company today when i get home from school and ask them whats up with that .....
    edited January 2006
    edited January 2006
    If you are running *ASUS EN7800GT DUAL/2DHTV/512M Dual Geforce 7800GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card* you should know what SLI cards look like!
  • HotrodsunHotrodsun Salem, OR
    edited January 2006
    I thought that you don't always have to have the connector to do SLI with certain video card. I thought with these cards the SLI function was done with the drivers not the cross card connecter.

This card looks very close if not the same card as in your picture. Note that is does not have the SLI connection on top, but is a SLI ready video card.

www.newegg.com
    edited January 2006
    some cards are liek that! but only some mobo's support it!
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited January 2006
    Hotrodsun wrote:
    I thought that you don't always have to have the connector to do SLI with certain video card. I thought with these cards the SLI function was done with the drivers not the cross card connecter.

This card looks very close if not the same card as in your picture. Note that is does not have the SLI connection on top, but is a SLI ready video card.

www.newegg.com

Are you sure about that? As far as I know the standard 6600 cards aren't SLi compatible, only the GT cards are....and that link you gave doesn't say anything about SLI at all.
    edited January 2006
    True statement! Only the GT's are SLI no regular 6600 vanillia is SLI rated!
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited January 2006
    I dont see the SLI notch on the card in the above pic. 99% of SLI cards have the notch near the front of the card and I don't see any on that card.

Can you put a better pic up that identifies the notch? No notch = No SLI.
  • roland_dmproland_dmp Oklahoma New
    edited January 2006
    I'm not necessarily agreeing with Hotrodsun, but I did notice that if you click on that newegg link, and then click on the pics for a bigger version, there is a logo in the upper right hand corner of every picture that says NVIDIA SLI Ready.

edit: After a bit more research on nVidia's site I found this page about building an SLI system. If you scroll down, you'll see that there are cards under a 6600 GT that are SLI ready, but don't use the SLI connector.
    edited January 2006
    That is if what he has in the ASUS version!
    edited January 2006
    That is if what he has in the ASUS version!

True! :) I just wanted to show that there are vanilla 6600s and even 6600 LEs are SLI ready. But you have to admit, the one Hotrodsun posted from newegg looks a lot like the one lastsight has.

IMG_0663.jpg
    14-121-199-01.JPG
    edited January 2006
    It does, but we haven't even confirmed that the one we are compairing it to is the card he has! But I will say the new drivers will allow sli with out a connector.. that was the beauty of th 80.xx series drivers, along with being abke to mix & match vendors. I guess the only way to tell is bench mark it! run 3dmark with one and than 2 cards!
    edited January 2006
    I guess the only way to tell is bench mark it! run 3dmark with one and than 2 cards!

And make sure to do it with the 80.xx drivers!
    edited January 2006
    There are to many factors that make me want to say these cards are not By ASUS!

these are the only 2 I can find a 128MB version and a 256MB version both not GT's they are regular 6600's

14-121-200-03.JPG
    14-121-199-02.JPG

ASUS always tags there cards with there LOGO! his card is logo free!

Lastsight - Can you confirm the brand?
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited January 2006
    I'm pretty sure the brand is eVGA. I could get a couple more pictures, but I'm not sure how clear they'll be close up.
  • edited July 2006
    Ok, I know this post is a little old, but;

There are 6600 and 6600LE Cards, certified as SLI compatible (See Nvidia SLI Certified on their site) that are SLI compatible, and DO NOT have SLI connector.
    Guess they dont need the bandwidth