safe mode start-up problem

edited February 2006 in Hardware
i've been trying to elliminate spyware strike from my pc but in order to do that i have to reboot in safe mode. for some reason my pc refuses to do this and starts blurping stuff when i do choose this option. my hard drive is partitioned into two parts: one for linux and another for windows-i'm assuming this might have something to do with it...any ideas?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    What does it say on the screen when it's "blurping"? :)
  • edited January 2006
    Hi there profdlp!

The whole screen fills up with the following:

multidisk(0)disk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\...(the rest differs for each line)
    edited January 2006
    That's normal.

I'm assuming that it stops at some point without ever getting to Safe Mode. If that's true, what's the last line on the screen when it hangs? (Don't worry about the first part, just tell us what's at the end of the line.)
  • edited January 2006
    yep that's right. stops at some point and the last line is multidisk(0)\.....\Mup.sys
  • edited January 2006
    ...any idea?
    edited February 2006
    I'm sorry victim. I thought I had replied to your thread, but I goofed... :(

Give us the details of your hardware, including MB brand and model, etc. Is this a "name brand" computer of a home build?
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks for your reply profdlp but I got it sorted. I was too impatient to wait for the safe mode to start up - which apparently takes ages- and thought the system hung. Once I waited a few minutes the problem was solved :)

Thanks again
    edited February 2006
    Sometimes Safe Mode will crank right up, but I've seen some systems where it seems to take all day. One thing that is sometimes the cause of the trouble is a USB device, often a USB keyboard. There's nothing really wrong, I just think it's a miscommunication between USB support in the BIOS and in Windows. Of course, there are lots of other things it could be.

Glad you got it going. :D