nvidia and dual core

reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys. I was reading articles on dual core processors, and it seems some of the articles refer to nvidia's drivers using the second core on dual cores in shader heavy scenes. It also said this can interfere with Quake 4 and other SMP capaple games. Has nvidia fixed this or will they soon? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I haven't heard anything on this yet!
  • reelbigfishreelbigfish Boston, MA Member
    edited January 2006
    "You’ll also notice that we’re running an ATI Radeon X1800 XT. In light of previously confirmed issues with NVIDIA’s latest drivers and this threading-aware patch, we’ll reserve judgment on GeForce 7-series cards for another day."

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/quake_4_dual-core_performance/page2.asp
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    well i run a handful of Nvidia 7 Series cards... and boy do I mean a handful, and I have yet to have any major problems with any of these cards!
    edited January 2006
    Thanks for the input. I'm curious to see how this plays out when I get my stuff.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I noticed the problem last night and today.
    I updated 81.94 to 81.98 and all was well until I ran ET TCE:test. I played it last night for about 30-40 mins then I got a system freeze. Rebooted and that's the last time I was able to get into any server to play w/o the same results.

I think I read that one remedie is to resort back to some 7x.xx drivers or something.

If anyone comes up with a solution to get this thing stable please let me know.

Thanks
    csimon
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2006
    I have yet to even try out any of the 7800 series of cards :( . None of my friends are big into computers like I am, so they all have cheap pc's and could care less.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited January 2006
    There's a registry key you can change to disable dual core support in the Nvidia drivers, Nvidia have acknowledged there's a conflict between the multithreading support in their driver and the smp support in Quake 4.

Linky
    edited January 2006
    I'm getting Q4 when I get my new computer up and running, so I will have to give things a try with SMP and with the nvidia registry edits.