m2 socket.

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Does anyone know the spec's of the new m2 socket, and what it will support. I've been hearing alot about it, but I really don't know anything. Im just wondering some stuff like how many pins will it be, what will the new line of AMD's be that go with it, is ddr2 supported, and basically what else is different about it?

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    Does anyone know the spec's of the new m2 socket, and what it will support. I've been hearing alot about it, but I really don't know anything. Im just wondering some stuff like how many pins will it be, what will the new line of AMD's be that go with it, is ddr2 supported, and basically what else is different about it?

From my understanding, its going to sport a revamped memory controller with DDR2 support. The initial models will remain 90nm parts, and aside from the memory controller, will remain pretty similar to current revision E processors. M2 is a 940 pin socket that is not backwards compatible with the older 940 platform.
  • edited January 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    From my understanding, its going to sport a revamped memory controller with DDR2 support. The initial models will remain 90nm parts, and aside from the memory controller, will remain pretty similar to current revision E processors. M2 is a 940 pin socket that is not backwards compatible with the older 940 platform.

I've also heard the same thing except that the pin holes of the socket will be spring loaded and when you open the cam arm the CPU will spring from the socket and leap 12" into the air....Ok, so I made that last bit up but it would be pretty dang cool :thumbsup: