First duallie build need help.

edited January 2006 in Hardware
Hey this is my first post as well ive read here for a while figured id join been gone for a few now im back. Im looking to build a dual cpu system. Preferably amd. (intel sucks) but im not completely opposed to xeon processors. And i have a few questions. 1. Are there any amd cpus that are capable of being used in a multi processor system outside of the mp and opteron lines. 2. Are dual mobos noticably overclockable if at all? 3. Would i be better off buying a dual core x2 ? and lastly would a dual xeon w/ ht system vastly outperform a dual opteron system due to technically having 4 processors available. I am building this pc for music production so stability is a key factor moreso than speed. Thanks for any help you guys have to offer on this and im glad to be here. Also ill be joining team 93 in folding this weekend bringing up my athlon 2800+ based pc specifically for that purpose.

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I can promise you this ...an opteron dual-core will practically give double the performance/productivity of a dual processor at the same frequency when if comes to f@h.
    I can post proof if you really need it.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited January 2006
    AMD X2, Opteron or Intel 8xx/9xx Dual Core CPU are all effectively DUAL CPUs.

Buy a Dual-Core CPU and youoverclockers mobo of choice and your golden.

As a rule of thumb true Dual CPU mobos aren't OCable, but there are exceptions (or ways around the limits)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I bought my dual Opterons when dual core wasn't even a blip on the horizon. They've been great but I've seen dual core and it's as good or better as a system for desktop use. You don't need to buy registered RAM to run it and it'll fit in a normal case. Real dual processors are still nice in an enterprise environment since the platform has two memory controllers on Opterons and run registered ECC memory and use PCI-X cards.

To answer your question though, some Athlon XPs are MP-capable without modding; my Athlon XP 1900+'s came with the appropriate L5 bridge intact. Athlon XP-M's are easy to cut the L5 bridge on and convert to MP.

-drasnor :fold:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited January 2006
    csimon wrote:
    I can promise you this ...an opteron dual-core will practically give double the performance/productivity of a dual processor at the same frequency when if comes to f@h.
    I can post proof if you really need it.
    Please. Thanks.