Suggestion For A Utility Similiar Too Spinrite 6

edited January 2006 in Hardware
I burn't a CD ISO image of Spinrite 6 onto a CD and was able to use it on a Maxtor 120GB HDD PATA, which is Master on the Primary IDE Channel on the ICH5R con, on an Asus P4C800 mobo. I ran it in Number 4 mode, ie for maintenance.

Using the same CD image I then attempted to run it on 2 X 74Gb Raptors in RAID0 on the ICH5R con, on an Asus P4P800 E Deluxe mobo, however, it would just not even boot into the program.

I then created a floppy diskette with Spinrite 6 on it, this time it booted into the program, and I got past the first 3 pages, however, when I selected Number 4 mode again to run it for maintenance, when it came to identifying the hard drives it went no further, it simply sat for quite a while with the word "working" flashing over & over. Obviously the program could not pick up my Raptors or my Seagate Barracudas in RAID0.

Is there another utility around that I could use to perform the same function as what I wanted to perform with Spinrite, ie use it for maintenance, or is there something else I could do to get Spinrite to recognise my 2 RAID0 setups?

Many thanks for your suggestions! :smiles:

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    would help if we knew WHAT you wanted to use spinrite for. Thats a old program with little use today with modern disks. And I say that as someone that was a OLD user of the program. I have built thousands of computers. Been in the buisness almost 30 years now.

If you want to low level format a drive use maxtors utilitys. I have used them on drives from all manufacturers.

You do not need spinrite anymore. I have had it ruin several late model drives.

Tex
  • edited January 2006
    Tex:

Many thanks for you prompt reply!

I quote from the FAQ regarding Spinrite 6 from their web site:

http://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm
    How often should SpinRite be run for preventive maintenance?

This is mostly a matter of personal taste. For example, how often should you backup your data? However, a general rule of thumb would be that SpinRite should be run every two or three months. Running it more often provides greater safety at the expense of the time consumed. Running it less often provides more opportunity for new problems to go undetected until they become severe. Once every few months should be often enough to catch and detect any early trouble.

It is simply for "preventative maintenance".

If you know of a better utility to accomplish this, I certainly would like to know about it. Or what would your opinion be on this. :smiles:

Specs: Asus P4P800 E Deluxe, P4 3.4GHz, 1GB (2 x 512MB) OCZ Platinum rev2, Asus AX800XT, Creative Audigy 2 ZS, 2 X 74 GB Raptors, 2 X 200GB Seagate Barr SATA, Antec 480 TruBlue, Lian Li PC-60.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2006
    Its not needed in any way or form. It's that simple. If the drive is failing it doesnt help one bit.

Tex
  • edited January 2006
    Tex:

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions! :thumbsup: