more Newbie ? SSE ?

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited October 2003 in Folding@Home
I have been reading variuos posts and looking at log files.. both the P3 and P4 units will load SSE while running GROMACS. The P4 will run through one in about 12 hours The P3 about 17-18 hours . The Duron equip. box (800 mhz ) Is still trying to finish it's first WU... ( also a GROMAC p832 p53 dimer)Going on 70 hours. It did not show SSE in the log file. Is there a way to force SSE? or am I missing something?

The 2nd processor on the P4 has a really big Tinker ( Tinkers blow) It looks like it will take 50 hours to finish it up. Processor 1 has done 4 WU's in the same time. ( at least the Tinker is worth 70.9 points )

So what about SSE ?

All machines running XP Pro with SP1

Comments

• BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    Is the Duron a Spitfire? Morgan? ?

Morgan yes. Spitfire no.

http://www.myplc.com/sony/sse_enabling_and_wcpuid.htm
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    I have no clue as to Spitfire or Morgan
    I downloaded wcpuid v3.1a It lists the processor as AMD Duron model 3. all the choices in the tweaks drop down are grayed out and unavailable. It does show on the main screen that SSE is not supported.
  • BDRBDR
    edited October 2003
    I'm not real up on Duron's, but was told that anything under 1gig is a Spitfire.

I also have a Duron 800mgs, but don't have it installed in anything right now.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    SSE = is a specialized instruction set that has to be included in the core when it is designed, which did not happen with the AMD processors until they hit the palomino (for the Athlon) or the morgan (for the duron) core. I believe that the first morgan duron was 1.0 ghz...not sure tho.

In short, there is nothing wrong with your duron.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    The 60-70 hour WU times were really getting me down. My local comp shop had a Athalon Tibird 1.3 cpu 266fsb for 30 bucks. So I bought it and put it in. Bumped it up to 1.4 and it is now folding a unit in about 26 hours. ( much better ) Wcpuid and Sandra both say that it also does not support SSE. But is running 3Dnow+. The P3 800mhz is running about the same wu times. Is there anything else I can do to push this box a little faster ? I would have thought it should outperform the P3.

Today makes it a full week of folding.( I seemed to be hooked )
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    scott said
    The 60-70 hour WU times were really getting me down. My local comp shop had a Athalon Tibird 1.3 cpu 266fsb for 30 bucks. So I bought it and put it in. Bumped it up to 1.4 and it is now folding a unit in about 26 hours. ( much better ) Wcpuid and Sandra both say that it also does not support SSE. But is running 3Dnow+. The P3 800mhz is running about the same wu times. Is there anything else I can do to push this box a little faster ? I would have thought it should outperform the P3.

Today makes it a full week of folding.

It should fold faster, but you have to realize that some work units take longer than others

( I seemed to be hooked )
    excellent
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited October 2003
    The P3 has SSE so it has the chance to use that.

Have yo tried gromacs on both. The P3 will really like that. The Athlon will improve as well.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    yeah tinkers sux0rz
  • res0r9lmres0r9lm Florida
    edited October 2003
    yes all durons under 1ghz is spitfire, the 1ghz model can be eithier spitfire or morgan, and all above 1ghz is morgan.