CoolWebSearch has taken over!

Comments

• TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited February 2006
    The inet20003 folder in C:\Windows should be deleted. We will sort the other files/folders shortly.
    Also, the prefetch folder has a few files with ssk or ssk3 in the name--SurfSideKick3, I assume?
    You can delete those and yes, they are part of SurfSideKick3
    To get rid of VCClient and other undesirables, is it enough to send them to the recycle bin?
    I presume its enough BUT its always best to empty the bin ;)
    Middle of the night again. I'm giving up earlier this time. Here's what I've found: In the Add/Remove Programs window, New.net Domains 6.38 appears, but when I click Change/Remove, I get an error message from XP, telling me it may already have been unisntalled, and asking if I'd like to remove it from the Add/Remove programs list. Is this for real? If I noticed it before, then I certainly tried to remove it. Is it safe to take it off the list?
    This line somehow is showing in your log.
    O10 - Broken Internet access because of LSP provider 'c:\program files\newdotnet\newdotnet6_38.dll' missing

Before you do anything, I would like you to follow PROCEDURE 4 at this site. Let me know If you have any difficulties in doing that.

On to other things:

L2Mfix did its job perfectly.

Before we continue, I would like to know whats working and whats not and where we are up to so far?
  • kkieselkkiesel Fairlawn, OH
    edited February 2006
    Good evening, here's the situation to date:

NNuninstall.exe worked fine just now, and somehow the internet came back to life afterwards. The CD drive still won't detect a blank CD, though it's doing all right with Billy Joel. The whole system is still very slow--even slower when the wi-fi card is in, so I leave it out as much as possible for fear of contracting more viruses.

There appears to be nothing in the Add/Remove programs list anymore that shouldn't be there, and I've deleted inet20003. All the remaining 'ufio' files have totally disappeared, whatever they were. I've left the deleted ones in the recycle bin because I'm not positive they're malicious.

I tried the suggestion in the other thread for the desktop icons, but it doesn't seem to have had any effect. Right-click still won't work. I'm going to try downloading some of the fixes mentioned earlier in this thread when the internet was down and see what happens. If you have any suggestions in the meantime, I'd appreciate it. I should have a new HJT log up in minutes. Thank you!
    edited February 2006
    Here's the new HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 8:23:04 PM, on 2/7/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware2\ewidoctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware2\ewidoguard.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\browser\ycommon.exe
    C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LMPDPSRV.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Lexmark X125\LEX125SU.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
    C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Pop-Up Blocker - {D7F30B62-8269-41AF-9539-B2697FA7D77E} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\PnEL.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_1_6_0.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [YBrowser] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\browser\ybrwicon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BJCFD] C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 03] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe" -l
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 03] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LMPDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LMPDPSRV.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winsysupd] C:\windows\winsysupd5.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [0wso0x0s.dll] RUNDLL32.EXE 0wso0x0s.dll,b 376545633
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [webHancer Survey Companion] C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whsurvey.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ufio] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ufio\ufiom.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [fonaac] C:\WINDOWS\System32\fonaac.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Lexmark X125 Settings Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Lexmark X125\LEX125SU.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm
    O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe (file missing)
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1139098310532
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: msupdate - msupdate32.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: URL - C:\WINDOWS\system32\n0l80a3ued.dll (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware2\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware2\ewidoguard.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Network Monitor - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Network Monitor\netmon.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: YPCService - Yahoo! Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\YPCSER~1.EXE
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    Try getting rid of these. Make sure you do it in Safe Mode and after you turn System Restore off. Once you've removed them with HijackThis, search the hard drive for any files referenced by the items (msupdate32.dll, etc) and delete them if found.

Reboot, then turn System Restore back on.

This one is a known Trojan masquerading as a Windows System File.
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winsysupd] C:\windows\winsysupd5.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [0wso0x0s.dll] RUNDLL32.EXE 0wso0x0s.dll,b 376545633
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [webHancer Survey Companion] C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whsurvey.exe
    O9 - Extra button: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: PartyPoker.com - {B7FE5D70-9AA2-40F1-9C6B-12A255F085E1} - C:\Program Files\PartyPoker\PartyPoker.exe (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: msupdate - msupdate32.dll (file missing)
    O20 - Winlogon Notify: URL - C:\WINDOWS\system32\n0l80a3ued.dll (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Network Monitor - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Network Monitor\netmon.exe (file missing)
    edited February 2006
    You need to remove the entries that prof mentioned but could you do this please before removing the entries mentioned.

First
    Remove webHancer from Add/Remove programs if listed.

Second
    Can you end these processes before fixing. If you need help on how to end them, just give us a shout.

C:\windows\winsysupd5.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\fonaac.exe
    C:\Program Files\webHancer\Programs\whsurvey.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ufio\ufiom.exe

Third
    This tool should remove msupdate32.dll

Download win32delfkil.exe.
    Save it on your desktop.
    Double click on win32delfkil.exe and install it. This creates a new folder on your desktop: win32delfkil.
    Close all windows, open the win32delfkil folder and double click on fix.bat.
    The computer will reboot automatically.
    Post the contents of the log file c\windelf.txt.
    edited February 2006
    I have never turned off System Restore before. Do I need to make any backups first (registry, etc.) or would that defeat the purpose? Just concerned about doing something irreversible. This computer has four years of business records on it that were never backed up (the only way I can back it up at present is on a large number of 3 1/2" floppies).

Party Poker was downloaded legitimately, according to my boss. The HJT entries associated with it are probably left over from earlier when I got suspicious and deleted the program. Should I still fix those entries?

My father recommends that I run Windows Update and get Service Pack 2 before I do anything else. All my problems seem to get worse every time I connect to the internet for any length of time, so I am wary of trying this. What do you think?

At least I have a normal desktop now, albeit under a different user--thanks for the great advice.
    edited February 2006
    WebHancer is not listed in Add/Remove Programs. How do I end those processes? I don't see them in Task Manager.
    edited February 2006
    kkiesel wrote:
    I have never turned off System Restore before. Do I need to make any backups first (registry, etc.) or would that defeat the purpose? Just concerned about doing something irreversible. This computer has four years of business records on it that were never backed up (the only way I can back it up at present is on a large number of 3 1/2" floppies).
    Don't turn system restore before fixing. If something goes wrong then there will be no restore point.
    Party Poker was downloaded legitimately, according to my boss. The HJT entries associated with it are probably left over from earlier when I got suspicious and deleted the program. Should I still fix those entries?
    Looks like leftovers of PartyPoker. I suggest fixing those entries and redownload PartyPoker if your boss wants it back
    My father recommends that I run Windows Update and get Service Pack 2 before I do anything else. All my problems seem to get worse every time I connect to the internet for any length of time, so I am wary of trying this. What do you think?
    Never install SP2 on a infected computer as this will cause you more problems.
    At least I have a normal desktop now, albeit under a different user--thanks for the great advice.
    Great a desktop. Hopefully, we can get this cleaned up :)
    How do I end those processes?
    Do the following:

Run HiJackThis then:

1. Click "Open the Misc Tools Section"
    2. Click "Open Process manager"

-

Next, while holding down the CTRL key, locate (if present) and click on (highlight) each of the following:

FIND THE FILES ABOVE

Now double-check and make sure that only those item(s) above are highlighted, then click "Kill process". Now, click "Refresh", check again, and repeat this step if any remain
    --

Can you post a new HJT log and hopefully with a working desktop, we can get this sorted :)
    edited February 2006
    I could not find any of the processes you mentioned in the HJT Process Manager. I ran win32delfkil, and here is the log:

* WIN32DELFKIL LOGFILE *
    by Marckie

BEFORE RUNNING WIN32DELFKIL

File(s) found in Windows directory

File(s) found in system32 folder

SharedTaskScheduler key

SteelWerX Registry Console Tool 1.0
    Written by Bobbi Flekman © 2005

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\sharedtaskscheduler
    {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} REG_SZ Browseui preloader
    {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} REG_SZ Component Categories cache daemon
    {4F141CBA-1457-6CCA-03A7-7AA21B61EA0F} REG_SZ OutPost FireWall

Notify key

AFTER RUNNING WIN32DELFKIL

File(s) found in Windows directory

File(s) found in system32 folder

SharedTaskScheduler key

SteelWerX Registry Console Tool 1.0
    Written by Bobbi Flekman © 2005

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\sharedtaskscheduler
    {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} REG_SZ Browseui preloader
    {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} REG_SZ Component Categories cache daemon
    {4F141CBA-1457-6CCA-03A7-7AA21B61EA0F} REG_SZ OutPost FireWall

Notify key

Looks awfully clean. :)

I fixed all the HJT entries mentioned above except the ufio and fonaac ones, which did not appear after the last scan. I did a search while I was in safe mode and found no files with msupdate32 in the name. The only place it appeared at all was in scan reports, one registration entry and twice in C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\DataColl.

Here is the new HJT log:

Scan saved at 3:12:58 PM, on 2/8/2006

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation\CFD.exe
    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe
    C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sp/sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Pop-Up Blocker - {D7F30B62-8269-41AF-9539-B2697FA7D77E} - C:\Program Files\EarthLink TotalAccess\PnEL.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ycomp5_1_6_0.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 03] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPClient.exe" -l
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 03] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\SBC\IPMon32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LMPDPSRV] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\LMPDPSRV.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Lexmark X125 Settings Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Lexmark X125\LEX125SU.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Login - {2499216C-4BA5-11D5-BD9C-000103C116D5} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\ylogin.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {4528BBE0-4E08-11D5-AD55-00010333D0AD} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\yhexbmes.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\common\yinsthelper.dll
    O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1139098310532
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware2\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware2\ewidoguard.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    edited February 2006
    Things looking up, I hope ;)

That log is clean now. Could you post a HJT log from the other account please? I feel there might be difference in HJT logs between the two accounts.

How is the laptop so far?
    edited February 2006
    Just switched to the other account. It's still running slowly, and I still can't right-click. Here's the HJT Log:

Scan saved at 3:49:33 PM, on 2/8/2006

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapps.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/su/sbcydsl/*http://www.yahoo.com
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Dictionary - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycdict.htm
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Yahoo! Search - file:///C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common/ycsrch.htm

I suppose I need to fix the 04 ufio and fonaac entries. Anything else? Shall I reboot in safe mode first?
    edited February 2006
    Your right - thats what we are going to remove in Safe Mode. Your getting good at this ;)

You see those files are showing in this account.

Can you do the following:

Update Ewido so it has the latest files.

You may want to print these instructions or save them as you'll have no internet connection once in Safe Mode

View hidden files and folders – explained here

Go into Safe Mode - explained here
    =====

Once in Safe Mode, do the following:

Run HiJackThis then:

1. Click "Open the Misc Tools Section"
    2. Click "Open Process manager"

-

Next, while holding down the CTRL key, locate (if present) and click on (highlight) each of the following:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\fonaac.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ufio\ufiom.exe

Now double-check and make sure that only those item(s) above are highlighted, then click "Kill process". Now, click "Refresh", check again, and repeat this step if any remain
    =====

Open HijackThis
    - Click the Do a system scan only button
    - Check the following entries (below)

- Close ALL open windows
    Click Fix Checked
    =====

Find and Delete the following, if found:

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\ufio\ufiom.exe << this file
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\fonaac.exe << this file
    =====

Still in Safe Mode: scan with Ewido and save a log.

Reboot back into Normal Mode and post a new HJT log along with the Ewido Log :)
    edited February 2006
    None of those things turned up in safe mode, but I was logged on as "Administrator" instead of "Owner" (the user with all the problems). Logging on as "Owner" is not an option in safe mode. Should I try it in normal mode?
    edited February 2006
    Try it in normal mode :)
    edited February 2006
    The only thing I found were those two HJT entries. I fixed them, and now the computer is running at a normal speed again!

I am doing a search for any files with ufio in the name. Several were found in the recycle bin, and about 50 more were found in a file called C:\RECYCLER - I'm assuming that's the recycle bin?
    edited February 2006
    No files found containing the word "fonaac" in the filename. I'm running ewido. Why does Short-Media log me off every few minutes? Is there some setting I need to change?
    edited February 2006
    The only thing I found were those two HJT entries. I fixed them, and now the computer is running at a normal speed again!
    Excellent :)
    I am doing a search for any files with ufio in the name. Several were found in the recycle bin, and about 50 more were found in a file called C:\RECYCLER - I'm assuming that's the recycle bin?
    I'm not too sure what that is but don't delete anything in there just yet. I hope prof knows and can answer when he reads this. :)
    Why does Short-Media log me off every few minutes? Is there some setting I need to change?
    Not sure why that is happening. :(

Post the Ewido log when its the scan is complete :)

Whats left now?
    edited February 2006
    This is it:

ewido anti-malware - Scan report

+ Created on: 5:42:40 PM, 2/8/2006
    + Report-Checksum: DF316348

+ Scan result:

:mozilla.9:C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\te1ka1oc.default\cookies.txt -> Spyware.Cookie.Atdmt : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

The desktop still isn't allowing me to right-click. Internet isn't up, but that is most likely because of a security block from the network (I took the laptop home for the day. Ewido was last updated last night). I have a lesson to teach right now, but I'll be back this evening to fix the internet connection and see what else needs to be done.

Thanks again! Things are looking much better.
    edited February 2006
    kkiesel wrote:
    ...C:\RECYCLER - I'm assuming that's the recycle bin?
    Correct. :)

kkiesel wrote:
    ..Why does Short-Media log me off every few minutes? Is there some setting I need to change?
    The problem must be with your Internet connection. There have been times when I've forgotten to close my browser before going to bed. The connection was still active the next morning. See if the problem persists now that your system seems to be back to normal.

EDIT: I see that you've tracked the problem down. :rockon:
    edited February 2006
    Is the right-clicking issue only on the old account? If so, it would be best to save and move everything to the new account like prof mentioned in the other thread. :)

Ewido is coming up clean now - thats good news. :thumbsup:

The HJT log is clean. All infections, including Look2Me have been removed :thumbsup:

Thank you for your help prof, its appreciated :thumbsup:
    edited February 2006
    The internet problem is actually with another computer--or rather, every computer I have used to access Short Media. I have to log back on after every few minutes of inactivity.

The only problem I know of with the freshly-cleaned laptop :) besides the vanished desktop icons is that it is still taking its time loading things up for some reason. It's not as slow as it was before, but I don't know why it thinks so hard during bootup and opening and closing new windows. I haven't had the internet connected to it for two days now (the logs I posted were all copied via floppy to my laptop first). The wifi card is not picking up the connection at my house, and when I tried to plug the cable in it didn't automatically detect it. I tried to go through the New Connection Wizard, but it just confused me. So I'm not positive the popup problem is fixed. I'll let you know as soon as I get a connection.

Please tell me how to switch all the old data and programs over to a new user. Trogan_1000 and profdlp, thank you very much for all your patience and assistance so far! I hope this is the last there is to do.
    edited February 2006
    Manually copy the contents of the My Documents folder to My Documents under the new user. If you have trouble accessing the files there is a tool you can use called Takeown to work around that.

It would help if we knew exactly what data, etc, you needed to moved. Provide a list (in general terms) of what all you'd like to have set up under the new user. A rough idea of what the computer is used for would be helpful, too. :cheers:
    edited February 2006
    I'm back after a 2-day break from working on this. Most of the files that need to be copied are Word, PDF, and Excel files used for keeping business records and writing up flyers, newsletters, personal correspondence etc. for a marketing firm. There is very little besides that.

The system is running incredibly slowly. It take forever to respond to a simple click on an icon. How can I figure out what is taking it so long?
    edited February 2006
    Can you send us a screen shot of your Task Manager showing the Processes tab? Make sure you resize the window so everything shows.
    edited February 2006
    An easier way to view and copy the running processes is to:
    • Open HJT
    • Click on Open the Misc Tools section button
    • Under System Tools, click Open process manager
    • Press the clipboard icon, next to the disk icon - upper right. That will copy the processes
    • Press Ctrl+V here to paste the running processes
    =====

Can you do this please.

Go here and download then run Silent Runners.vbs. It generates a log, please post the information back in this thread.
    If you have a script blocking program, please allow the file to run. It is not malicious.
    edited February 2006
    The reason I requested a screenshot was that it will show the percentage of resources in use by each process. ;)
    edited February 2006
    Sorry prof. I shouldn't have said anything :(
    edited February 2006
    Your suggestion was fine. :)

Since we're pretty sure at this point that there is nothing rotten going on with the computer, the next step is to see exactly which programs are using up the resources and making the machine seem sluggish.
    edited February 2006
    Hi, sorry to send this as an attachment. Hope that's ok.
    edited February 2006
    Could you also run the Slient Runners program. That will look in places that HJT doesn't and see if anything is hiding