Cd/Dvd drives are not working

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hi there!
I was changing some options in Bios but i never touched on options about drives. I restart my pc and i saw that Bios was recognizing my dvdr & dvdrw drives and windows too. But they werent appearing in explror or my computer. I went to control panel and then System/Hardware. In Dispositives Manager (Im not quite sure if thats how we say "Gestor de Dispositivos" in english) my drvies appear but they have an yellow icon. Double clicking on it appears the message "Windows cannot start the controler for this hardware. (code 37)". Ive tried to disconnect and connect the drivers but it didnt resolve the problem. I havent any cd of installation of my drives.
Motherboard MSI K8n Neo 2 Platium.
Please, if somebody can help me just post a reply here. Im gonna be always checking.

ps sorry for my bad english

Comments

• FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited February 2006
    From what you've posted, if I understand you correctly, it's not the drives that aren't working, its the CONTROLLER for the drives that's not working. Look in your bios for IDE controller switches. I'll guess that your hard drive(s) are SATA on that motherboard and you've accidently disabled your IDE controller where the optical drives are connected. Just re-enable the controller(s) in the bios and you should be good to go.

Good Luck,

Flint
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks, but how do i do that?
    I found some options IDE PRIMARY MASTER thats one of my Drivers should stay Auto or Manual ? And Acess Mode of it ? CHS, LBA, LARGE or AUTO ?
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited February 2006
    Your original post stated that you were changing settings in the bios and after that, the optical drives didn't work. Based on that, I'm guessing you changed a setting in the BIOS that turned off one or both of your IDE controllers. So, go back into your BIOS and find what you did and change it back!

The options you sighted in your second post I believe are available in WINDOWS device manager, not the bios, unless your referring to the automatic detection of drives on the channel and the options if you do it manually. If so, leave it at auto. Elsewhere in the bios are the settings for enabling or disabling the IDE channels. Enable both of them.

Flint
  • edited February 2006
    Ok. But as i told u i never touched any option about IDe or drive or soomething like that. I was changing stuff like internal cahce, cpu and memory voltage, etc. I cant just change the makes ive done because they have nothing to do with it.
    Those oprtions (Auto, CHS, LBA, LARGE are all in Bios. I dont know where to make a change...RAID has something to do with this problem ?
  • edited February 2006
    Ive already tried to LOAD SAFE options in Bios but it didnt worked.
  • edited February 2006
    I have resolved my problem..Thanks anyway
    Method 1: Remove the registry entry
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    4. On the File menu, click Export.
    5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
    6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
    7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer