Ultra ATA or Seriall ATA?

edited February 2006 in Hardware
which one is better and how much of a difference is there between the two?
also is seriall-ata 2 better than both?

thx

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    IDE ( or UATA) has a max throughput of 100-133MB per second, the first generation SATA has a max throughput on 150MB per second and SATAII has 300MB per second. they have pretty much made Ultra SCSI 320 usless with the new cheap SATAII hard drives.

now bear in mind those are max theoretical throughput, you wont see that much unless the machine is very finly tuned. but your still looking at transfers of over 133MB per second. if your mobo supports it, go SATA, the dives are bigger faster, and the cable is significantly thinner allowing more air flow in your case.
  • edited February 2006
    Actually in real life, there isn't much difference in performance at all between SATA 1 and IDE. You won't notice any real performance difference between the 2, given the same size, platter speed and cache. I've heard that SATA 2 gives a very slight performance boost though but I don't have any experience with it. As far as drive size, I've seen IDE drives up to 500 GB in size (Seagate offers 1 for sure), so there's no difference there either. Armo is definitely right in that the cable is much smaller and easier to route on SATA than IDE.
  • edited February 2006
    thank you!

nice replys :rockon:
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited February 2006
    Armo wrote:
    they have pretty much made Ultra SCSI 320 usless with the new cheap SATAII hard drives..

In your wildest dreams perhaps.

Tex