Why do I always get stuck fixing things...

edited February 2006 in Hardware
My areas of expertise in computers are mostly software issues and desktop hardware. I’m no expert on either, but I know enough to get things done. Unfortunately my friend come up to me and hands me a laptop with a non working monitor. Get I think to myself, just what I need. But I take it home and look at it. What’s weird about it is that the monitor seems fine when it decides to work (which isn’t often). There is no blurring or lines. It just goes black. It get it to work you have to hit the little button that gets pressed down when the monitor is shut. Normally this will put the laptop into a hibernation mode, but it seems that when you press and let go of it the monitor will come back on. Sometimes for five minutes, other times for just a half second. It’s an older style tobisha satellite 1805 laptop. I guess that I’m not looking on knowledge on how to fix it because I don’t think that I know enough about laptops to tear someone else’s apart and correctly put it back together. I was more wondering on how much it might be to fix if it’s something like a lose wire. Thanks.