Need software that will display folder structure

NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of any software that will allow you to get a drives folder names and export them into a .txt file.

What it is needed for is, with a company I do some work for he lets his staff get away with pretty much anything within reason. Problem is he never setup a disk space policy, so he wants me to go through his server and give him a list of all the stuff thats on there.

Now I dont fancy going through if folder by folder. He is going to remove the lines he wants to keep, and anything that is left on the list is to go.

Any suggestions?

Necropolis_uk

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    go to Start/Run
    Type in command, or cmd depending upon windows version.
    get to the root directory.
    Type: "dir /s > whatever.txt" where whatever is whatever you want to name the file. Change it to "dir *. /s > whatever.txt" in order to get just directory names. It'll also put in any files without extensions. I dunno how well this works with long filenames tho.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Top man.

That has saved me alot of time. Top marks for getting the answer to me so quick as well. Works file with long file names to.

I owe you a :beer:
    edited June 2003
    No problem! I'm glad it worked for you.
    edited June 2003
    I have been working with Windows for so long now, I have forgotten a load of my old DOS commands. I need to fond my DOS 6.2 command book, its around here somewhere.:banghead:

DOS, simple yet effective.:D
    edited June 2003
    Indeed! Even more effective than I thought, considering it worked for long file names too!

I kind of miss the old DOS days... when I got my first computer, I read the DOS manual while I was at school because I missed my PC...
    edited June 2003
    I know what you mean. Because everything has a nice GUI front end, you get used to it.

Still use dos for my networking commands tho, about the only thing I do nowadays.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    A healthy knowledge of DOS never did anyone any harm. I frequently have to call upon it, even in this day and age. That's a handy tip, I'm going to put it in the TWEAKS AND TRICKS THREAD if nobody minds.

Cheers
    edited June 2003
    Good idea,

Might be an idea to put up a thread of useful dos commands. Never know when you might need them.
    edited June 2003
    Sweet! My geek level rises once again!
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited June 2003
    Necropolis_uk said
    Good idea,

Might be an idea to put up a thread of useful dos commands. Never know when you might need them.
    Absolutley, I think I'll just shove any I see which I feel are genuinely usefull in the main tweaks thread for now though. If it's starts getting over-run with DOS command tips then I'll start a new one more tailored. But at the moment I'm the only one posting :type: in the main tweaks thread, so I'll play it by ear. However, don't let me stop anyone starting one if they feel they have enough usefull info to make it worth while.

Cheers, all good stuff folks.:thumbsup:

SPINNER