Can't boot past Pentium Logo

edited February 2006 in Hardware
This one is truly maddening.

Had to rebuild. Have done it many times, mostly with Athlon processors.

This time, I had to go Pentium 4.

I have a DFI 865PE TAG motherboard, and a Pentium 4 3.0 processor.

The basic problem is that I turn on the computer, I see the video card information, the Pentium 4 logo flashes for a few seconds and the whole process starts over.

To resolve this problem I have:

Replaced the CPU, the motherboard, AND the RAM.
Unplugged everything except the CPU, HSF, and RAM. Still does the same thing.

I've tried moving the CMOS Clearing jumper. Won't do anything, so assume it was in the correct position.

I have changed the orientation of the HSF, and checked the thermal compound layer, which seems to have good even distribution.

Again, I've CHANGED the motherboard - same thing.
CHANGED the CPU - Same thing.
NEW RAM - Same thing.
New 400w Power-supply. No difference
Changed the video card. SAME thing.

All power cables are definitely plugged into the board.

I've taken the motherboard out of contact with the case.

My only theories (because I'm totally out of choices at this point in terms of MY knowledge) are that a) the HSF (about $20) is nice and big, it might not be cooling enough? or b) the CPU (an OEM chip) might not be compatible with the board, and the fine folks at my local computer retail establishment simply didn't know.

But given the symptoms which do not change no matter what I do, does anyone know what ELSE this might be indicative of?

Thanks SO much in advance! I'm now 5 days without my primary business computer...

Bob

Comments

• scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Hi Bob
    Welcome to Short-Media !!!

One thing that was unclear in your post, Is this a fresh install of Windows ? And which version are you running ?

If you are trying to use a Hard Drive with an existing O.S. from another system than I would bet that is your problem. ( all the wrong drivers ) And a repair install will be needed. ( Hopefully XP Pro )

Can you get into the bios ?

Please let us know the answers to these questions.

We will get you up and running.

Again , Welcome to Short-Media !!!!

Scott
  • edited February 2006
    scott wrote:
    Hi Bob
    Welcome to Short-Media !!!

One thing that was unclear in your post, Is this a fresh install of Windows ? And which version are you running ?

Can you get into the bios ?

Scott

As mentioned, Windows doesn't enter into it. I can't get the system to even get to the BIOS settings. I have unplugged ALL drives, cables, etc. to narrow down the problem.

Again - I see the video card information, black screen, Pentium 4 logo a couple of seconds - black screen then the video card information again, black screen, Pentium Logo - on and on like that. Simply keeps restarting. Doesn't count memory or anything OTHER than show the P4 logo for second.

Bob
    edited February 2006
    Unplugged everything except the CPU, HSF, and RAM. Still does the same thing.

sorry I missed that.

I just looked at The DFI website at your board.

How do you have your ram configured ? 1 stick 2 ? If 2 which Dimm slots are they in. ? should be 1 &3 or 2 & 4 Red or blue , not one of each.

Or just use 1 stick for now.

Did you try turning everything off ( unpluged ) and then removing the cmos battery for 10 minutes ?

Scott
    edited February 2006
    And....

Exactly which P4 processor is it ( Model # )

Scott
  • edited February 2006
    scott wrote:
    sorry I missed that.

How do you have your ram configured ? 1 stick 2 ? If 2 which Dimm slots are they in. ? should be 1 &3 or 2 & 4 Red or blue , not one of each.

I have them in 1 and 3, and I've tried only 1 as well.
    Did you try turning everything off ( unpluged ) and then removing the cmos battery for 10 minutes ?

I did. Both Mobos behaved exactly the same way.

The Processor:

Here's what it say on the box:

Intel Pentium 4 524
    3.06 GHz, Socket 775
    1MB Cache, 533 MHz FSB,
    OEM Processor

Does that help?

Thanks, by the way. :)

Bob
    edited February 2006
    Some of the newer P4's ( D series ) won't work on older chipset boards without a bios flash. But yours should be compatible.

Those were the things that jumped out at me, and it seems you have done your troubleshooting properly.

I am going to let someone else take a shot at it.

Someone will be along shortly. Hang in there. You came to the right place.

regards

Scott
    edited February 2006
    A couple other thoughts and a bump

Is there a speaker on your board or in your case ? Getting any beep codes ?

Don't be offended ( Have to ask ) Do you have the 4 pin 12Vatx plug pluged in to the motherboard ?

Scott
  • edited February 2006
    I get ONE short beep just after the Video Information shows and before the Pentium Logo shows.

Sorry I forgot to mention that...and I thought I was being so thorough! ;)

And yes, the 4-pin plug is plugged in.

Bob
    edited February 2006
    Well acording to your manual
    "Single long beep followed by 3 short " is video error
    "Single long beep " is memory error

So it would seem that that is a normal POST beep.
    If you keep tapping the "DEL" key does it make any difference ?

I was reading some post over at the DFI Street Forum and in several post that mentioned the reboot cycle at that point were all related to the bios not supporting the processor. Maybe a call to DFI to confirm CPU support would at least answer that.

DFI (San Jose), Inc.
    30991 San Clemente St. Hayward, CA. 94545 USA
    TEL: 1-510-274-8000
    FAX: 1-510-274-8012
    E-Mail: sales@dfiweb.com
    E-Mail: PR@dfiweb.com
    E-Mail: marketing@dfiweb.com
    E-Mail: techsupport@dfiweb.com
    http://www.dfi.com

Or maybe your local shop could put an "old" P4 in it and flash the bios to a current version.

Scott
  • edited February 2006
    scott wrote:
    Well acording to your manual
    "Single long beep followed by 3 short " is video error
    "Single long beep " is memory error

Right. And neither of those apply here.

So it would seem that that is a normal POST beep.
    If you keep tapping the "DEL" key does it make any difference ?

Does not. Tried that too.

Maybe a call to DFI to confirm CPU support would at least answer that.

Thanks for the number. I'll definitely call them. :)

Bob
    edited February 2006
    Hello again Bob

I am about out of ideas. I think we have to determine if the bios supports the CPU . You have already covered all the typical troubles. Unless it is the PSU , you stated that it is new but not which brand. But I think even a cheessy 400w would get you into the bios. Have you tried a different one?

I am gonna send somebody else over to see if they can think of anything we missed.

Hang in there

Scott
  • edited February 2006
    Thanks, Scott. Actually when I first put everything in, I was using a 250 Watt PSU and the symptoms were identical.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    I see that you've tried two video cards. What were they and were they AGP, PCIe, etc?
  • edited February 2006
    They were both AGP NVidia cards. One was the 5200LE, the other was an older 440MX.
    edited February 2006
    Do you have an old PCI video card you could try? If that will get you into the BIOS you could then check all the settings, paying particular attention to anything in the AGP category.
  • edited February 2006
    Wish I did, but I don't have a PCI card onhand anymore. Everything in the house is AGP...
    edited February 2006
    Anywhere you could borrow one? A local (non-chain) computer shop would probably sell you a used one for peanuts, probably $5 or so. I've given more of them away free than I can count.
    edited February 2006
    Hey Bob

Any luck with DFI tech ?

Scott
  • edited February 2006
    Yes. Thanks to DFI, I learned that it WAS in fact a BIOS issue, so I solved the problem by returning EVERYTHING I purchased, and exchanging it for the Athlon 64 CPU/Motherboard combo I went in to by orginally, but they were sold out.

So much heartached that could have been avoided if I'd just been patient enough for their new shipment to come in.

Oh well...at least I found this outstanding forum as a result!

Bob
    edited February 2006
    Glad you got it going, Bob. :)

Please hang around and make yourself a part of our fourums. Once you get your new rig going you might want to check out our new Athlon64 Overclocking Guide. One of our members (lemonlime) wrote it and it is the most comprehensive article of its type I've ever seen. :thumbsup:
    edited February 2006
    Hi Bob

I am really glad you got squared away !

boundless wrote:
    ...at least I found this outstanding forum as a result!

This Really is a great place ! I wandered in here 2 1/2 years ago with a question and ..well......I am still here. Everyone is very polite and respectful , not to mention very knowledgeable . We have some wide ranging talent that all call Short-Media home.

Poke around , I am sure you will find lots of interesting stuff.

Thanks for stopping in and glad we could help.

Have fun setting up your new rig !

Scott
    edited February 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    ...had that problem... put in the windows cd and sorry if anybody mentioned this , i didnt have time to read the thread. after u put it in, repair windows, which imo doesnt do crap so it probly wont fix anything, then......sorry........format the volume. hope youve fixed it by now so u dont ahve to format
    He was building a brand new system... :rolleyes:

BTW: The Windows Repair Install is wonderful. I haven't had to do the old backup data/format/reinstall/restore data routine since August of 2003, and only then due to a HD failure. ;)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    heh heh.. yeh, bios issues, those are fun. good choice on the A64, which model did you get?