Geforce 7800GS AGP

ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Hardware
What do you think about these new AGP cards? There has been some debate on other sites whether it is worth while or not.

For those of us who don't have $1000 to spend on a basicly whole new PCIE sollution are screwed, so a 7000 series card is nice.

Some say it's not worth the $300 when you gan get a 6800 in several flavors which arn't that much less in the performace arena and are cheaper.

some think that since it has only 16 piplines open that it is a screwed up GT/GTX
chip and why should they sell substardard chips to the public.

bla bla bla...........:rant:

Opinions?

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I think the most I'd consider for AGP is a 6800, and I still don't want to pay a $50 price premium over the PCI-e version. I think I'll just deal with my 9800 until I have the money to go A64 and PCI-e, unless I find a good deal on a used 6800 or something.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    Personally, I think the 7800GS AGP is quite disappointing. I don't know why nvidia didn't release a full 20-pipeline 'GT' version on the AGP bus, or even the 24-pipe GTX 256. I really don't think the 8x AGP bus is bottlenecked enough to be prohibitive with this class of card.

I think the 6800GS is by far the best value in an AGP card right now, or if you can find a second hand 6800GT etc. There are a few inexpensive X850's around too if you can find one.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I think the 7800GS AGP Card is a good buy if you looking for new tech on an older platform... If you like many others who bought a new system recently and stuck with AGP as you didn't want to buy a New Graphics Card, But are now in the boat of I want better graphics... the 7800GS is for you! It Sports the entire new tech realm and is really a great performing card. Out performs all of the 6 series cards and is pretty up to par with the GT 7800's in most games "especially EVGA's models" for me Graphics is a big deal so dropping $299 on new tech isn't all that bad... But once again I might campout a bit until mid March! As that is when Nvidia will be rolling out a new Flag ship card which will most likely drop prices for the cards we see today... *note.. You can pick up a 6800GS for abour $164.00 now at Newegg :)
    edited February 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Personally, I think the 7800GS AGP is quite disappointing. I don't know why nvidia didn't release a full 20-pipeline 'GT' version on the AGP bus, or even the 24-pipe GTX 256. I really don't think the 8x AGP bus is bottlenecked enough to be prohibitive with this class of card.

I think the 6800GS is by far the best value in an AGP card right now, or if you can find a second hand 6800GT etc. There are a few inexpensive X850's around too if you can find one.

That's what I don't understand... it doesn't cost them any more to release a version with more pipelines, does it? And they don't have anything more powerful for AGP already released for it to compete with, so why did they release one with only 16 pipelines?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    That's what I don't understand... it doesn't cost them any more to release a version with more pipelines, does it? And they don't have anything more powerful for AGP already released for it to compete with, so why did they release one with only 16 pipelines?

I am sure this is the very question most people are asking, but it is a 7800GS and not a GT AGP, like a 6800GS vs a 6800GT it has less pipes. I wonder if they'll eventually release a version with more pipes. I am sure they're just milking some good people outta money right now.

I still can't believe that AGP is like $50 more than PCI-E.... wtf is that about?
    edited February 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I still can't believe that AGP is like $50 more than PCI-E.... wtf is that about?

I think they figured out that we'd have to pay it if we didn't want to buy a new motherboard and processor :(
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Well I think you guys are focusing on Pixel Pipes way to much.... If you look at ATI's top dog the X1900XTX it is equipped with 16 pixel pipelines. Maybe Nvidia is showing us that they are taking a step backwards... and are making more vertex shaders rather than Pixel Pipes? I guess we will see in March!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:

The way that ALL semiconductor companies handle their product is by "binning" or "sorting" into different classes of quality/functionality. It costs the same to make the GT/GTX as it does the GS. the product that does not work to complete specs goes in the GS or the GT bin. Same thing as the 6800/GT/Ultra. same thing as the 5900/5950/XT. Same as the 4600/4400/4200. Nothing new for this to happen. Intel does it. AMD does it. I am sure ATI does it as well. That's business. Hell, my company does it and we only make LEDs. So basically instead of losing all of the cost for a non-perfect part, they recoup partial cost.:wink:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    If you have a ati x800/x850 series or nvidia 6800 series theres no reason to upgrade.
    edited February 2006
    Zuntar wrote:
    The way that ALL semiconductor companies handle their product is by "binning" or "sorting" into different classes of quality/functionality. It costs the same to make the GT/GTX as it does the GS. the product that does not work to complete specs goes in the GS or the GT bin. Same thing as the 6800/GT/Ultra. same thing as the 5900/5950/XT. Same as the 4600/4400/4200. Nothing new for this to happen. Intel does it. AMD does it. I am sure ATI does it as well. That's business. Hell, my company does it and we only make LEDs. So basically instead of losing all of the cost for a non-perfect part, they recoup partial cost.:wink:

I know all that, and that's why I ask why not give us something fully-powered, if they don't have any competing products to under-cut on the platform by doing that?

Possible answers might be that they have an excess of parts that "binned" at 6800GS levels, they don't think there's a market for a full-powered product at the full-powered price on the AGP platform, they still want to encourage people to upgrade to PCI-e for the top-of-the-line, or they could just be bastards. I'd just like to know which it is.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    I'm very satisfied with my x800xl, and its dropped in price alot. I'd suggest that over the 6800 gt's just because its cheaper, and has about the same preformance.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I know all that, and that's why I ask why not give us something fully-powered, if they don't have any competing products to under-cut on the platform by doing that?.................

Dood, why would a company take a part that sells for lets say $100, add a conversion chip to it and then sell it for $40.

You all are right in that it would be sweet if they were to give the consumer a GTX chip in agp format, but remember that they (Nvidia) don't want AGP to last. They want PCIE and SLI to thrive. That causes people to upgrade to there newest chips on the MOBO and on the graphics card and hopfully 2 graphics cards. Very smart business.

Now... I have a socket 754 and my mobo died. I just got a replacement mobo,
    and then I make a mistake and blow (ESD most likely) my graphics card a 5900xt. So i am stuck with agp for a while or no rig at all. I know I won't be able to just upgrade later this year to something new, so yea I bought a 7800GS to "stay in the game". And I don't feel that I got screwed any more then most all of you have in the past with at least one of your purchases.

When is it right to buy the latest and greatest hardware?
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I'm very satisfied with my x800xl, and its dropped in price alot. I'd suggest that over the 6800 gt's just because its cheaper, and has about the same preformance.

I was looking at the ATI x800's on newegg and found they have 5 pages of REFURBISHED ATI x800 series cards. Does this mean that all these cards were defective and sent back for repair? I would think this is not a good track record for the x800"s ?