Safe mode hangs

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Not sure where else to post this but it is an emergency as far as I am concerned!

I have suffered a malware attack by the latest in the spy.... series SpyFalcon. To fix this I need to run various processes in safe mode but safe mode keeps hanging. The hang varies from first click on any icon to 5 minutes in but never long enough to run smitRem!

Hanging safe mode is not refered to as a feature of the malware attack anywhere.

I am running xp pro on a system which is rock solid in normal mode...... any ideas?

Mike

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    you say hang. does it stop booting on the load screen, the login screen.. when and where is it hanging at.

can you boot normally?
  • edited February 2006
    you say hang. does it stop booting on the load screen, the login screen.. when and where is it hanging at.

can you boot normally?

Normal boot is fine and in normal mode the system is solid and reliable.

Safe mode boot goes ok it is when I come to use it in safe mode that it hangs. By hang I mean the cursor freezes, numlock does not work, infact it responds to nothing but the off switch!

It hangs anywhere from the first mouse click on the desk top to after 5 minutes of use, different every time.

Mike
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    so your on the desktop when it hangs. there really shouldnt be any reason for this since all dirvers and such are disabled. if you boot normally, you might be able to use hjt or just find the files manually to delete them.
  • edited February 2006
    so your on the desktop when it hangs. there really shouldnt be any reason for this since all dirvers and such are disabled. if you boot normally, you might be able to use hjt or just find the files manually to delete them.

Yeah. On the desk top or running SmitRem or Ewido. HJT runs oh because that is quick. What I think I will do is use MSconfig to turn everything off at startup and then use Smitrem and ewido.

Mike
  • edited February 2006
    Notwenam wrote:
    Yeah. On the desk top or running SmitRem or Ewido. HJT runs oh because that is quick. What I think I will do is use MSconfig to turn everything off at startup and then use Smitrem and ewido.

Mike

Time to light the cigar!

The instability in safe mode was due to the spyware! What I did was to use Msconfig to make the next boot in to normal mode without running anything in start up (a sort of safe normal mode) and then run the routine.

After that the infection is gone and then just to be sure I ran it in safe mode and eberything ran to conclusion.

Thanks for all your help. According to Panda spyfalcon was released on the day I got it and their dat has been updated. Curiously a search on the symantec wedsite still draws a blank, makes you wonder if I am using the right AV?

Mike
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    Notwenam wrote:
    ...Curiously a search on the symantec wedsite still draws a blank, makes you wonder if I am using the right AV?

Mike
    I used to be the biggest fan of Norton/Symantec around.

Not anymore. :ninja: