Upgrade with similar memory or higher?

edited February 2006 in Hardware
I just picked up the Toshiba laptop they had on sale at Best Buy this week (450 bucks) and it has a killer 256 MB PC 4200 DDR2(533) RAM.

That sucker is definitely getting upgraded and I'm sticking with the same speed, but my question is:

Should I buy a 512MB stick and run it with the 256 or should I just buy another stick of 256?

Someone told me that if I have 2 different size ram sticks, it'll cause issues and that I should go with 2x 256, for example.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Flyrice...

We'll need more info on the laptop. What is the model number, does it only have one stick of memory, ect...

Some CPU's really like to have two sticks of identical memory, and some HAVE to have two sticks (RDRAM with some older P4's)... With more info, we can find out the best solution for you.
  • edited February 2006
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Flyrice...

We'll need more info on the laptop. What is the model number, does it only have one stick of memory, ect...

Some CPU's really like to have two sticks of identical memory, and some HAVE to have two sticks (RDRAM with some older P4's)... With more info, we can find out the best solution for you.
    The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L25-1216

It comes with one stick of 256MB DDR2 PC 4200. Here are the stats from PC Mag

Type: General Purpose, Value
    Operating System: MS Windows XP Home
    Processor Name: Intel Celeron M 370
    Processor Speed: 1.5 GHz
    RAM: 256 MB
    Hard Drive Capacity: 60 GB
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon XPRESS 200
    Primary Optical Drive: DVD-ROM/CD-RW
    Wireless: 802.11g
    Screen Size: 15 inches
    Screen Size Type: standard
    System Weight: 5.6 lbs