PC - Need the Mouse Control

edited February 2006 in Hardware
I unplugged PC components (mouse, keyboard and monitor) to move it into a different room. Once moved I inadvertantly forgot to plug in the mouse and powered it back up. Windows (Win 98) comes up stating the mouse problem. Plugged in the mouse and powered up again but it does not recognize the mouse being plugged back in. A restore floppy is ignored upon a re-boot, holding CTRL down and restarting is ignored. It's like a Catch-22, it boots up telling me to correct the mouse problem, but won't give me any control to fix it.

Comments

• edited February 2006
    PS2 mouse or USB ?
  • edited February 2006
    sdgcan wrote:
    PS2 mouse or USB ?
    It is a PS2 (definitely not a USB.)
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    Double check that the mouse and keyboard arent switched on the back of the tower. ie. mouse in the keyboard socket.
    Also re-seat your connections, and make sure you didn't bend any pins.
  • edited February 2006
    Donut wrote:
    Double check that the mouse and keyboard arent switched on the back of the tower. ie. mouse in the keyboard socket.
    Also re-seat your connections, and make sure you didn't bend any pins.
    It's impossible to switch these two because it was a custom made computer and mouse is unconventional requiring an adapter plug. All are seated good, but thanks.

My problem (restated) is computer goes thru Scan disk because computer is now always shut down improperly, i.e., power plug pulled. After scan disk a DOS screen warns of not able to find mouse driver or whatever and hit any key to continue (do that) then windows 98 comes on up with a small window warning of no mouse. After this is deleted the regular desktop comes up, but no control. A restore floppy is ignored when I unplug power and replug power to start over, also CTRL key down is ignored. Just wants to tell me computer was improperly shutdown.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    Which connection does your mouse use to hook to your pc? Check here if unsure.http://www.infonewsindia.com/pinout/pinout_ps2_serial_mouse.htm#2

What type of connection does your keyboard have? ps2 or the older AT style (5 pin i believe).

Could you list the system specs also.
  • edited February 2006
    Have you tried tabbing through to control panel and using the add new hardware link to add your mouse ? Also have you tried another mouse so as to make sure the current one has not gone south on you ? You say the mouse is unconventional and uses an adaptor, are you talking a USB to PS2 adaptor ?

When shutting down your compute don't just unplug...that's bad...use your keyboard's "win" key and the tab key to shut down. If your using a really old keyboard without a win key use ctrl+esc to bring up the start menu and then tab over to the shutdown menu.
  • edited February 2006
    Donut wrote:
    Which connection does your mouse use to hook to your pc? Check here if unsure.http://www.infonewsindia.com/pinout/pinout_ps2_serial_mouse.htm#2

What type of connection does your keyboard have? ps2 or the older AT style (5 pin i believe).

Could you list the system specs also.
    You are getting the picture. On the back it is a Male DB9 9 pin serial port. The keyboard is a 5 pin male connector to the female receptacle on the tower.

Let me add at this point that I was helping my neighbor, whose computer knowledge is quite limited, install his new Dell system, which we (mostly I) did successfully. His old system is a custom built with AMD-K6 processor, 32 MB memory (non-expandable), mouse 6 pin with a 6 pin Female DB9 adaptor to the Male DB9 9 serial port receptacle on the tower. Neighbor wanted me to permanently remove his personal files, which were stored in "My Documents" and his e-mail addresses and IE Favorites. We should have erased before the move, but forgot. In the move he misplaced the Mouse adaptor and could not find it, so he went got another one from orgin of his computer. Although new adaptor does not look like old one functionality must be same??
  • edited February 2006
    It's like a Catch-22, it boots up telling me to correct the mouse problem, but won't give me any control to fix it.

If your sure the mouse is good use the keyboard....get to control panel, add new hardware, add a standard serial mouse.
  • edited February 2006
    sdgcan wrote:
    If your sure the mouse is good use the keyboard....get to control panel, add new hardware, add a standard serial mouse.
    The use of tabbing (thanks very much) has solved my objective. I got into MS-DOS went to "My Documents" and deleted neighbor's *.doc files, went into Windows/Application Data/Microsoft/"Outlook Express" and deleted all of his *.dbx (mail files), then ../"Address Book" and deleted *.wab

I think this dinosaur is safe enough now to be recycled at the DAV or other thrift store.

Thanks so much for your tips and help.
  • edited February 2006
    Thats just awesome that your donating it...way to go, I do that with alot of the old stuff I get in that still functions...one mans old junk can be a real treasure to someone less fortunate than us :cool: