Bizarre behaviour

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hi All
Can anyone help?
My PC has recently not booted up...it hangs before I can even get into the bios. It does not even "beep". The hard drive sounds like it wants to kick in, begins to whirr then stops...a few seconds later it starts to whirr again but stops. The CD ROMs lights flash as if the PC is going to come on but the machine stays on a black screen. I don’t even get the pre screen that checks RAM etc. A couple of times it has booted and a screen tells me the processor speed it incorrect (strange). Other times it boots fine, works for
1/2 hour or longer then the screen turns off but the PC is still on but will not respond. I’ve had the power supply upgraded…but still no joy.
Could this be the first signs of a hard drive crash?

Any advice?
STV

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    When you get the bios screen, is there any message about the CMOS battery?
    Can you even get into the bios? If you can, check the date/time. If the battery in going this will be wrong.

Could you post your system specs also? This will help the next person that wanders by.
  • edited February 2006
    Hi Donut
    Here is the spec:
    AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 2.25 Ghz
    1.50 GB Ram
    GeForce 5600
    Audiology SB Card
    Maxtor 6 Y120M0 120GB Hard drive
    Using a Belkin wireless USB dongle from my router
    Usual others: Dual DVD Rom...etc
    Not sure about the motherboard..sorry

I have been running the machine for 5 hours with no problems. Have run a virus check and Adaware...all clear.
    Rebooted and checked the bios..all looks good there..time and date current.
    When the PC was playing up I tried unplugging all peripherals...and plugging them in one by one...no difference.
    I have just backed up and will probably reformat.

STV
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2006
    You might want to try Memtest, to check your memory. (it's in our download section)

How is your cooling? Any active dustbunnies lurking?