Where does the DVD drive cable go?

edited February 2006 in Hardware
now i have a A8N-SLI deluxe motherboard cuz i went to go exchange my old one...but they said the manufacturer stopped supplying them...so i decided to get this one!!

anyway...i hooked up the Hard drive cable (its IDE) into the primary IDE, and there is also a secondary IDE right beside it. Does the dvd drive cable go there? i cant see anywhere else it can go....

thank you!

Comments

• edited February 2006
    Yeah, that's commonly where most people hook their optical drives to, the secondary IDE port. You want to keep your optical drives off the same cable as your IDE hard drive because it will drag the transfer speed of the port down to the max speed of the optical drive, which is much slower than the hard drive (ATA33 instead of ATA100/133).
  • edited February 2006
    ya ok, i got 2 cables with the motherboard, so ill use both. thanks
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited February 2006
    You can set it up 2 ways.

1. Use IDE port 1 for your HDD and your DVD drive in IDE port 2 on the mobo.
    Ensure both have the jumpers on the back set to "Master (MA)" and you use the plug at the End of the cable into your drives.

2. You can also run both drives off the one cable, providing it has a total of 3 plugs. 1 into your motherboard, the top one into your HDD and the middle one into the DVD. In this case, you will need to change the jumper setting on the back of your DVD to "Slave (SL)".

Jon

* typing too slow. See Mudd already answered.:smiles: