Help me to choose PC components.. plz

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hi,

(sorry for my bad English)

Im new to this forum and I look forward to read a lot here and learn from you guys.

I need some help to put together a PC that I started to build a time ago. These things I already bought. And I need help to choose the rest of the components, that fits to these things I already have.

Lian-Li PCV2000 fulltower

OCZ PowerStream Power Supply (SLI Ready)

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4

AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 2.6GHz 1MB socket 939

Thanks in advance

//BadDevil

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I have that case ...very nice!
    Have you looked into asus a8n32x?
    What ram are you going to use? How much?
  • edited February 2006
    The thing is that I did buy "Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nForce4" when it first come out, after that I get sik and couldnt do anything with my project. Now when I want to continue with this I dont have any clue what to buy. Last week I bought the FX-60 and the OCZ PowerStream Power Supply. Im going to put the maximum recomended RAM in this. But I need help to choose one that works well with the rest of the components. Any RAMs that you can recommend to me?
  • edited February 2006
    Welcome to Short Media, BadDevil.

It looks like you have made an excellent start on the components you have chosen so far and should make for an excellent performing computer. :thumbsup:

As far as the rest of your system is concerned, you are still lacking hard drives, ram, optical drive(s), sound card possibly and your video subsystem. Do you plan to go the SLI route either now or in the future? If so, the video cards using the GeForce 7800GT are a good choice and compromise between ultra high performance (2 in SLI mode) versus cost. If you are planning to run just one video card with no possibility of going SLI in the future, then either the ATI X1900XT-PE or the Nvidia GeForce 7800GTX-512 are the present premier video card choices, but Nvidia will be releasing their next gen gpu in a few months. If you think that you might want to do SLI later but for now you want to go with only one video card, then leave anything using an ATI gpu out of your plans as that Asus board you have won't do anything with an ATI gpu in SLI mode.

For your ram, look for a 2 GB kit (2 X 1GB sticks) of good quality low latency ram such as Corsair, OCZ or Mushkin sells. You will pay a premium for this ram but since you are running the highest end A64 DC proc, I figure that you are going for max performance anyways.

I have no experience with them, but the new Raptor 150 hard drives look to be even better than their older, smaller brothers in performance, with decent size to them. The new Raptor is supposed to run cooler than the older Rapters from what I've read also. You can also add another large capacity hard drive for storage like a 300-500 GB 7200 rpm drive such as Seagate and others sell. I like Seagate personally because all their drives come with a 5 year warrantee, like the Raptor from Western Digital.

For a sound card, I'll have to leave that to someone else to fill you in on as I haven't used anything but onboard sound for quite a while now. I'm thinking seriously about asking around on what kind of sound card to go with myself as I just bought some Logitech Z-5500 speakers and they really rock the house.:rockon: If you are looking for a really good set of powered speakers you can't go wrong with the Z-5500's.
    edited February 2006
    what's the rest of your budget look like? You got some sound advice coming from mudd there.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    __
    Y DONT I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR THIS STUFF?????????

...o ya im 14...
  • edited February 2006
    csimon wrote:
    what's the rest of your budget look like? You got some sound advice coming from mudd there.

My budget is about 2500USD.

SCAR wrote:
    Y DONT I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR THIS STUFF

How do you know that?
    edited February 2006
    Well on that kind of budget you could also add some decent watercooling!
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    whats the main function of this machine? file server, gaming rig, internet crawler?
  • edited February 2006
    csimon wrote:
    Well on that kind of budget you could also add some decent watercooling!

Maybe I will have some money left for watercooling, but the thing is that I realy dont know what to buy now, Thanks to "muddocktor" i know that I probably will buy GeForce 7800GT and low latency RAMs (I still dont know witch RAM). I think I want a WD Raptor 74GB for the OS.

I still need advice to make this complete
    Armo wrote:
    whats the main function of this machine? file server, gaming rig, internet crawler?

There is no special funktion with this, the thing is that I never buy something for my self. I work all the time, becouse of my working I had to make a big surgery in my hip. Now Im back and working again. Apart from working I like to sit infront of my PC, thats why I want to give my self a "present" and I want it to be fine some years in the future from now.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    A8N SLI Deluxe isn't a bad board. I had one till I switched to the premium. You will probably want to keep an eye on the north bridge fan on the board, they have a tendancy to fail. I wouldn't worry about buying the SLI32 board until you are ready to upgrade to a socket M precessor. Save that money, SLI 32 isn't worth the extra $40 when its something that should have been standard to begin with.

My suggestion for RAM would be OCZ Platinum or Gold series. GET 2 1GB Sticks. I made the mistake of getting 4 512MB sticks and they don't have near the OC potential of the 1T timings you can do with 2 sticks.

If your going to spend $2500, then go ahead and get the 7800GTX cards. I have 2 of those in SLI and they are wonderful.

You can OC pretty well on air with your CPU, so unless your really planning on throwing that chip into heavy over drive I would not yet worry about watter cooling till you know how much you have left after everything else is bought.

Soundboard = XFi or Fatal1ty card.
  • edited February 2006
    BadDevil, what part of the world do you live in? The reason I'm asking is that you might not have the vendor selection we have here in the US.

For ram, I have been fairly pleased with my Mushkin Redline 4000 kit I'm running on my dual core system. Since you have access to OCZ's line of products, this Platinum PC4000 kit would be comparable to my Mushkin kit. Another good choice would be the Corsair XMS3500 2GB kit .

For the Raptor, I would suggest you read the Anantech review on the new 150 GB Raptor . Anandtech is showing even better performance on the 150 GB version than WD has in either the 74 GB or 36 GB versions of the Raptor.
  • edited February 2006
    BadDevil, what part of the world do you live in? The reason I'm asking is that you might not have the vendor selection we have here in the US.

For ram, I have been fairly pleased with my Mushkin Redline 4000 kit I'm running on my dual core system. Since you have access to OCZ's line of products, this Platinum PC4000 kit would be comparable to my Mushkin kit. Another good choice would be the Corsair XMS3500 2GB kit .

For the Raptor, I would suggest you read the Anandtech review on the new 150 GB Raptor . Anandtech is showing even better performance on the 150 GB version than WD has in either the 74 GB or 36 GB versions of the Raptor.
  • edited February 2006
    Tank you muddocktor, I live in Sweden.

I ordered a Platinum PC4000 kit, and I hope I made the right choice. :D
    Now Im looking for a Video Card, I think its going to be 7800GTX 512mb like jradmin suggested, but there is different manufactures and I dont know witch one to take.
  • edited February 2006
    I really can't tell you which manufacturer has the best service in Sweden, but all the 7800GTX-512's I know of are based on the original Nvidia design. Go with the company that gives the best service and support in Sweden. I think the 7800GTX-512 is a great video card, but just too expensive for me to afford right now. I'm sure it should do you just fine and later on, when the price of them comes down some more you might pick up another one and have a great SLI setup too.

EDIT: I think you should be well pleased with the memory choice you decided to go with. I have noticed a difference with having 2 GB ram in my machine over having just 1 GB ram.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    BadDevil wrote:
    Tank you muddocktor, I live in Sweden.

I ordered a Platinum PC4000 kit, and I hope I made the right choice. :D
    Now Im looking for a Video Card, I think its going to be 7800GTX 512mb like jradmin suggested, but there is different manufactures and I dont know witch one to take.

EVGA or MSI 7800GTX in my opinion. I have 2 MSI cards myself =) Alot of people like BFG Tech, but personally I don't like paying people extra for something I can do myself like Overclocking GPU/GDDR.

After you get everything together, DL Coolbits2 or Rivatuner and OC it up to around 515-520 GPU and 1300 GDDR if your on air and you should be in the zone with that.