Rofl

GobblesGobbles Ventura California
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Ok so one of the customer service guys comes to me the other day and says his pc is locking up after about 15 min of use. I think to myself probably a heat issue. He then says that he reboots and it locks up quicker the next time. Im now positive its a heat issue. I tell him to bring it in and ill check it out. That was Friday. Today he rolls it into me, I give him the usual warning that when its fixed we will look for all his pr0n, he agrees and says it should be an interesting search then wanders back upstairs to his cube. I crack the box open and poke around inside, I vaccum it out, its not to bad only 2 real dust bunnies so I fire it up and sit in the bios watching temps. The machine after a few seconds starts to get hot, he has a athlon 2400+ with amd hsf, its up to 54, 55, 57c... Im like damn the fan is turnin on the hs just fine. So I exit out of the bios and start poking around again. I take out the PSU give it a good cleaning and I remove his HSF, I take the fan off to clean it and this is what I found....

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    lol! That is some serious dust..

dust bunnies from hell! :D

My x850 got clogged up real bad a while ago too-

attachment.php?attachmentid=18073&d=1131313107
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited February 2006
    This reminds me... I haven't opened up my comp in a long time - probably a buttload of dust all gathered up in there! I know the OUTSIDE of my case is just a dust magnet - very annoying.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    oh my oh my...
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited February 2006
    Gobbles,

It wasn't quite that bad, but it is just about the picture I should have took when my PC had some problems folding. Mine still looked like it had vents in the middle so you couldn't really tell until you pulled the fan. Good shots :thumbsup:

Lemonlime- that was my X800XT last month, only mine has PowerColor on the HSF cover.
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited February 2006
    It was like a wool sweater.. I laughed cleaned it up through some AS5 on it. It now idles at 50c and hits about 56-58c under load. It was a crappy stock hsf.

I got a report back from the kid and he says that he ran it for hours and hours and its working fine, no more lockups..
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    yuck
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    Gobbles wrote:
    It was like a wool sweater..
    I bet some rich folk would buy it for their cat.