Silly questions for a silly boy

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited February 2006 in Hardware
I'm sure I know the answers, but I wanna be sure to save me money in the future....

Does Bluetooth work with 802.11b/g Probably not, but I need to be positive.

What is the speed difference between a 2.13GHz Sonoma PentiumM and a 1.73GHz Sonoma? Huge or meh?

Also, about how good is the Radeon x700 vs a 6600 Go? both being 128MB?

Comments

• bloucksbloucks Missouri
    edited February 2006
    Don't know about the other questions, but bluetooth is independent of the 802.11 standards.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2006
    vid card - are you getting a new one? of so, how much? anyway from all the research i did when i was building my system last month, i read that ATI has done better since the 9000's series. I wouldn't know tho. If yourre spending over $150 let me know i know of a X800 GTO you can get for about $185. good luck with watever it is youre doing.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    Well, my work laptop uses a x700 chipset and its almost 3 years old. The "Go" chipsets are fairly new (around 1-1.5 years) so I would probably lean in the direction of the 6600.

Bluetooth is its own wireless protocol. It is not the same as 802.11g/b/x. It basically enables you to use things like headset microphones that are bluetooth compatable, palms that are bluetooth compatable, printers that are bluetooth compatable, or also docking stations that are bluetooth compatable. Bluetooth is a wireless component communication protocol, not an wireless internet protocol.

As far as the processor is concerned, if your talking about a Pentium M (Centrino) compaired to a mobile P4, then you need to go towards the Centrino. The run much cooler then a P4 and don't suck up near the juice, The only difference to my knowledge is that the FSB speed is 400-533mhz instead of 800mhz.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong on any of this. I don't want to give out bad info.
    edited February 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    vid card - are you getting a new one? of so, how much? anyway from all the research i did when i was building my system last month, i read that ATI has done better since the 9000's series. I wouldn't know tho. If yourre spending over $150 let me know i know of a X800 GTO you can get for about $185. good luck with watever it is youre doing.

I believe he's talking about laptop components. he didn't clarify but everything he mentions in his origional post are laptop components.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Yeah this is for a laptop, I am looking though the powernotebooks site wanting to order a laptop asap, but I had a different thread covering that I just had some questions that came to mind that I realized I didn't know.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    1 PowerPro A 2:17 SUPRA - $1,774.00
    17" WXGA+ (1440 x 900) LCD w/PCI-e ATi RADEON X700 w/128MB Memory
    2.0GHz "Sonoma" Intel® Pentium® 760 M w/2,048k L2 On-die Cache
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
    2,048MB (2 SODIMMS) CORSAIR DDR2/533 Dual Channel Memory
    40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive at 5,400 RPM
    Combo Dual Layer 8x8x4x2.4x +/- DVD R/RW - 24x10x24 CD-RW Drive w/Softwares
    Built-in 1.3MegaPixel Video Camera
    Built-in Multi-Regional TV-Tuner w/Remote Control
    Built-in Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 802.11b/g
    Built-in Bluetooth Wireless
    Smart Li-ion Battery
    Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter
    Standard Carrying Case
    NO Operating System

1 PowerPro 3-year Warranty - Next Business Day Shipping - Lifetime 24/7 - $0.00

Ground
    Shipping/handling/ins: $ 35.00
    Subtotal: $ 1,809.00
    Tax: $ 0.00
    Regular Price Total: $ 1,809.00

Just ordered it! It'll rock, and I will post a review on this beast asap. Sure the gfx card could be better, but I doubt I'll need it that much. The biggest concern I had was a big screen so I could have plenty of viewing room and memory. This ysstem seemed to have the best bang for my buck, even if you compair it to a 15.4" lappy you just can't beat this deal!

http://powernotebooks.com/category.php?catId=25#id1068
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Oh yes, and it will be folding.... now if only I can get my other cousins PC to run F@H then I'll have some number crunching on my end :D
    edited February 2006
    You will like that M chip.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I should get it next week sometime... I can't wait! Here it is BTW...

http://powernotebooks.com/category.php?catId=25#id1068
  • edited February 2006
    Yeah, you will love the way that Sonoma runs. They also make for a damn good desktop system too if you already have an Asus P4P800SE or P4C800E Dlx mobo. They just had a Sonoma 730 sell for $95 in the overclockers classifieds and the 730 I have overclocks to over 2800 MHz and makes it a killer on the p147x/p1481 wu's. It averages around 940 points/day doing the p1481 wu's and over 500 points/day on the DGro work too.

I'm really happy with the 1200 MHz overclock I'm getting out of my 730. :D
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Yeah, you will love the way that Sonoma runs. They also make for a damn good desktop system too if you already have an Asus P4P800SE or P4C800E Dlx mobo. They just had a Sonoma 730 sell for $95 in the overclockers classifieds and the 730 I have overclocks to over 2800 MHz and makes it a killer on the p147x/p1481 wu's. It averages around 940 points/day doing the p1481 wu's and over 500 points/day on the DGro work too.

I'm really happy with the 1200 MHz overclock I'm getting out of my 730. :D

w00t! I wonder if I'l be able to OC this lappy ;)
  • edited February 2006
    Some of the P-M laptops can be overclocked in Windoze with a program, forgot the name of it though.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Hey guys quick question...

When I get this latop, hopefully sometime next week, I would like to do a full blown review of it, the features, possible overclocking ability, heat, etc.... but I never really did a true review of anything before that I can recall. What kinds of things should I do, programs to use, things to try and put in the review? About how long does a proper review take to complete, a week, a month?

ALso, I don'thave any other similar things to compair it to so I wouldn't be able to provide side by side examinations :(
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2006
    List the features and describe your opinion of each: Great/So-So/Worthless

Do some benchmarking and report the results. Laptops are usually not nearly as tweakable as desktop computers. Describe your success (or lack thereof) in your attempts at squeezing a little extra out of the machine.

Discuss Price vs. Value.

Wrap it up with your overall impression of the computer.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    What I wanna do is compair it tomy desktop. Of course the desktop is way faster(at least mine is) but it isn't very portable.

Perhaps I could have a bit of fun with it and show how I use my desktop vs trying the same with a laptop. For example I am in bed right now about 6 feet away from my computer monitor using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have my text set bigger so I can read the forums better while watching Goldenboy on DVD all on my 19" screen. I've actually never done this before, but it would be way better if I had a laptop right now since it is still hard to see my monitor being kinda blind.

But I could show how the price/performance and mobility of the laptop compairs to having a desktop. I'll think of the detailslater but I think it would be a interesting twist. Something many who talk down about DTR's and laptops becuase their desktop is so much easier. My roomate is one of them, if I can show him the goodness of a lappy then thatw ould be neat. :P
  • edited February 2006
    One thing about a laptop is that they are much easier to bring with you when traveling. I couldn't even imagine trying to bring my desktop machine (any of them) out to work on the rig with me. :eek2:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It should be in tomorrow! OMG I have never been so excited!

I am _so_ close to just calling in sick tomorrow. Actually I may just tell the truth, that I want to wait for a really cool peice of equipment to come to my front door so I can bum rush the UPS guy, freak him out, and run inside like a hermit with my toy!
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It is here, I am typing on it right now! Installing updates and such, this thing is a beast! Can't wait to start playing with it, then I'll work on that review ;)