Laptop keeps rebooting itself at startup- can't even get to safe-mode, etc.

edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2 year old HP pavillion. I had a series of 'serious errors' causing my computer to reboot. Finally, it died, and whenever I turn the power on, it immediately turns on/off continually. It's very hard to manually turn it off from there, as the 'holding down the power button for 10seconds' does not apply as it only stays on for 1 sec or so...

A bit of background- recently the power port was damaged and I had to have the motherboard replaced (by a repair shop). However, my computer was working fine for 1.5 weeks after it was fixed... Also, it was mentioned that this may be a virus, but I'm an a very protected network (of course it's always likely!)

I'm really desperate for this to be fixed- I'm a poor university student who really really needs to work on her dissertation/thesis/essays. I intend to call a repair shop, but would like to have some idea of the problem before I shell out another £100 that I don't have!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jillian

Comments

• jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    I'd say PSU issue. Ruling out MOBO issues atm since you said its brand new. If the power port on the MOBO was damaged (By a surge or blackout?) then its possiable that the PSU has some issues. If the restarting times are somewhat random (It will let you get past the POST, or into Windows) then it could be a bad ram stick failing on a certain frequency.

Based on the fact you said it begins rebooting as soon as you hit the button, then its probably PSU.