Star Wars: Empire at War

jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
edited February 2006 in Gaming
Anyone else get this today? I can't wait to start building fleets of Star Destroyers tonight =) It's kind of like a combination of all the stratagy SW games rolled up into one better game.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Star Wars Battlegrounds II sucked so bad I dunno if I ever wanna pay for a SW game ever again.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    Played 1, never played 2. Battlefront 1 and 2 wern't bad...and anyone who says that ol' Star Wars: Rebellion was bad needs to be shot. One of the best space RTS's ever made. :vimp:
  • edited February 2006
    At last another! Star Wars Rebellion is indeed a great game. It's one of my favorites! I never really cared for the 3D tactical map, though..
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I'm just saddened that their is only 2 factions!

and the space war are very jenaric with not skill needed.... their isn't a way to seperate Noobs from Pros it is just send them all in to fight!
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    jradmin wrote:
    Played 1, never played 2. Battlefront 1 and 2 wern't bad...and anyone who says that ol' Star Wars: Rebellion was bad needs to be shot. One of the best space RTS's ever made. :vimp:

Rebellion wasn't bad, I liked it. I have it around here somewhere, but the best space RTS's are the Homeworld series. Now if they would just license that 3d engine for Star Wars we'd be ok.

I'll pick up Empire once my first new paycheck comes in but I did play the demo. I give it an ok just because I didn't really enjoy the land battles (something just doesn't seem right, can't put my finger on it yet) and I'm STILL disapointed that the space combat isn't 3d but I did enjoy it a lot. I just wish that the space combat had been in 3d, WHY CAN'T I FIGHT IN ALL DIRECTIONS!?!?! Its SPACE!!

Overall though the game seems to do everything well but nothing great, other than the implementation of all the SW units. I do enjoy the added hardpoint system and the galactic system too, its just that the combat is what really matters to me.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    I just downloaded the demo, I'm going to give it a whirl..

The one SW game I still love to this day is Jedi Knight 2 :thumbup
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    I just downloaded the demo, I'm going to give it a whirl..

The one SW game I still love to this day is Jedi Knight 2 :thumbup

Tie Fighter:respect::respect::respect:

JK2 was really good though, as was Dark Forces, JK1 etc etc.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    pseudonym wrote:
    Tie Fighter:respect::respect::respect:

JK2 was really good though, as was Dark Forces, JK1 etc etc.

Oh wow, memories :D

Tie Fighter :respect: was one of the first games I got for my 486/66 back in `94 . I remember switching between that and x-wing :)
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited February 2006
    Star Wars: Empire at War is great, even tho it does take alittle time getting used to the galaxy map thingie. But it really is a good game for your money. I need to make sure my gf isnt buying it for me so I can get it.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    They are going to add a pirate faction, so there will be 3 sides to the war =)

The game is pretty hard even on easy. They did a really good job with the AI this time around. All fighters just seem to fly in quick then bug out fast, so you have to stay on your toes. Luke's Red Squadron has a nasty move that pretty much destroys a small capitol ship like the Tartan Patrol Ships in one hit. I don't like that...but eh =D

I had to do the tutorial first...I got my ass handed to me in the first battle of a galactic conquest and figured I better learn a few things first. Whats really fun is zooming down on Vader's squadron or Fett in Slave1 and watching them fight it out with rebs. Another cool thing is watching it with everything turned up on high =) Really really nice.
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited February 2006
    Yeah I love the Cinema button :-)
  • edited February 2006
    I had forgotten about TIE Fighter, too! All these memories, rushing back!
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I just bought this game the other day, and I'm a good portion through the Empire campaign and have played a Galactic Domination with the Rebellion. I would just like to say I absolutely adore this game. There are a few things that do bother me from time to time, but as a whole I just can't get enough of this. I've played a good 15 hours so far, and the thing is great.

For anyone who has played Star Wars: Rebellion, you'll have a pretty good idea of what the management screen is like. The only difference is instead of IC it's all done with credits. You buy everything with credits and there's a little bit easier management of the empire in general. It also requires less micromanagement to be efficient.

The land battles leave a bit to be desired, as the models themselves look rough, but they're still fun to no end. The only weird thing is not having X-Wing support flying through etc., but I can see where that would get far too RTS-ish. There are bombing runs, which turn out to be necessary to win some land battles, especially those where you're outnumbered.

The key to this game, though, is the space battles, they're just fun in general. Especially once you get to a high enough tech level to have Mon Calamari Cruisers and Imperial Star Destroyers, they just rock so hard. The only complaint I have in this area is that the Death Star can't fire at capital ships, and that makes me sad.

Overall, this game rocks, I haven't played multiplayer yet, so that could be interesting. If you're a Star Wars fan, I consider this a must have for your collection. If you're a general RTS fan, this might not be up your alley, but give it a shot anyway.