Old school graphics 2D+3D

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
After donating some parts towards my GF's PC upgrade, I had to rummage through my parts bin looking for a new graphics card to use in my server.

Behold, THE graphics combo to have in 1997 :D

attachment.php?attachmentid=19209&stc=1&d=1140400472

attachment.php?attachmentid=19210&stc=1&d=1140400472

Matrox Millenium II PCI w/daughter board expansion for a total of 8MB ;)
Diamond Monster 3D - 3DFX Voodoo

I used to squeeze 35fps out of GLQuake 0.95 back in the day, but that was with a Pentium Pro. I'll have to see how it fairs with a modern CPU ;)

Benchmarks to follow :rarr:

omg, where am I going to find drivers for this thing.. Gonna need your help Spinner :D

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    uh oh! I have a trident card I can send you if you want to compare them with a peer from their day ;D
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    lol.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    It's all about my dual Voodoo2 SLI with Cirrus Logic GD5446 in the sidecar.

-drasnor :fold:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    What are we starting a museum here or something???

I have an old vodoo card in the attic I can contribute.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I've got a Voodoo 1, 2, and 3, but don't have working drivers for any of them ;D

I loved that Voodoo 2, though. I called it "instant OpenGL." You want to play Quake 2 on someone's computer, but they don't have a 3d card? No problem. Instant OpenGL through the miracle of the pass-thru cable :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I've got a Voodoo 1, 2, and 3, but don't have working drivers for any of them ;D

I loved that Voodoo 2, though. I called it "instant OpenGL." You want to play Quake 2 on someone's computer, but they don't have a 3d card? No problem. Instant OpenGL through the miracle of the pass-thru cable :D

I have that pass thru cable as well ...could mine be vodoo 2? Someone gave it to me ages ago.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    The pass-thru is only found on Voodoo2s afaik maybe Voodoo1s as well. I have the latest Amigamerlin 9x drivers but I'm sure if you googled you could find his 2k/XP drivers as well. I still use every graphics card I own.

3dfx gets wicked framerates in MechWarrior 2

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited February 2006
    drasnor wrote:
    The pass-thru is only found on Voodoo2s afaik maybe Voodoo1s as well. I have the latest Amigamerlin 9x drivers but I'm sure if you googled you could find his 2k/XP drivers as well. I still use every graphics card I own.

3dfx gets wicked framerates in MechWarrior 2

Yeah, that Voodoo1 (Monster3d) uses the pass-through cable as well. I did find some 2K/XP drivers.. some sort of 3rd party unified driver set. Worked ok, but I couldn't get GLQuake to run :(
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    I've used the drivers from this site (VoodooFiles), and I've had trouble getting them to work in XP. I didn't have any problem when I was running 98, though. (Edit - just checked the site, and the driver section has been overloaded with spam software :shakehead )

Yeah, most Voodoo 1s and 2s used pass-thru cables. There were a few cases when a manufacturer took the 3dfx chips and put them onto a standalone card, but the pass-through models were way more common.

I still remember the sweet Voodoo 2 SLI setup a friend of mine had. Played Quake 3 very well, and lasted him into the GeForce 4 generation :)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    wheres my voodoo banshee?

getting openGL to work on it was a nightmare. back when i was a noob