Which RAM and 3D CARD should I use?

edited February 2006 in Hardware
I like to improve my computer performance in speed and Graphics resolution by upgrading RAM and 3D card Etc

Here's my PC Specification's:
Using OS: Windows XP
Chipset Intel(R) 810E2 Chipset
Memory Controller: 82810E
Integrated Graphics: Interl(R) 82810 graphics Contoller
Processor :1.13 Ghz System Bus 133MHz

Before i was using *128RAM+128SDRAM=256* but 128RAM was dead its not working so using 64RAM with 128SDRAM

Presently Running in : 64RAM+128SDRAM=192

:type:

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    Im guessing that you have an agp or pci vid card based on the processor speed. DO NOT buy any of these until you find out what type of card you have first.
    Click start, control panel, performance and maintenance, system, click on the hardware tab, and then finally device manager. Then click on the display adapters + sign, and tell us what it says.

Also what will you be using the computer for? Workstation, gaming, or just regular use such as email, and interent. The vid cards I listed below are all great for gaming and regular use.

I have no idea how much you want to spend but I'll give a wide variety of prices for you. If you want to upgrade, theres no point in getting something that wont last you for a couple years, I'd consider all of these cards.

$146 XFX 6600GT. If your upgrading, i wouldnt go any lower than this card if you plan on keeping it for a few years. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150089

$179 Asus 6800 512MB. This one is faster than the 6600GT and will enable you to turn the settings up higher on games. It also has ALOT of memory:512mb. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121216

$225 eVGA Geforce 6800. This one has higher speeds and overall better preformance. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130264

$299 XFX Geforce 7800GS. This is pretty much top of the line as far as AGP goes. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150129

Unless you have PCI-express I'd say away from ATI. Almost all their new cards are pci-e. ATI's are really nice cards, I have an x800xl myself, but for some reason they dont seem to make very many agp cards anymore. If you go to a store like bestbuy or compusa they sell ones there, but its almost guarnteed that the price is jacked up a little.

Do you know if you have ddr ram?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    Im guessing that you have an agp or pci vid card based on the processor speed. DO NOT buy any of these until you find out what type of card you have first.
    Click start, control panel, performance and maintenance, system, click on the hardware tab, and then finally device manager. Then click on the display adapters + sign, and tell us what it says.

Also what will you be using the computer for? Workstation, gaming, or just regular use such as email, and interent. The vid cards I listed below are all great for gaming and regular use.

I have no idea how much you want to spend but I'll give a wide variety of prices for you. If you want to upgrade, theres no point in getting something that wont last you for a couple years, I'd consider all of these cards.

$146 XFX 6600GT. If your upgrading, i wouldnt go any lower than this card if you plan on keeping it for a few years. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150089

$179 Asus 6800 512MB. This one is faster than the 6600GT and will enable you to turn the settings up higher on games. It also has ALOT of memory:512mb. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121216

$225 eVGA Geforce 6800. This one has higher speeds and overall better preformance. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130264

$299 XFX Geforce 7800GS. This is pretty much top of the line as far as AGP goes. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150129

Unless you have PCI-express I'd say away from ATI. Almost all their new cards are pci-e. ATI's are really nice cards, I have an x800xl myself, but for some reason they dont seem to make very many agp cards anymore. If you go to a store like bestbuy or compusa they sell ones there, but its almost guarnteed that the price is jacked up a little.

Do you know if you have ddr ram?
    NONE of those cards will work

If you notice hes running a p2 or a p3 he has a 810 chipset :P.
    AGP 2X SDRAM only.

edit: prabu your probably better off getting a new pc from the sounds of it your curent pc is quite dated.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    Since all boards manufactured on this chipset are now no longer supported by Intel and SDRAM is a thing of the past I would recomend not sinking any money into it. If you can tell us what the intended use of your computer is we may be able to help you start from scratch by either building a new system or possibly buying a pre-built one if your useage is pretty basic. It would also help to know where you live so we can provide better pricing and availability of parts.

EDIT:
    Since you are running Windows XP on that old of a system your stability is like better but you are suffering from XP useing most of the machines resources just to operate. The older versions of Windows will be faster due to less resources required but those have now lost support from Microsft.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited February 2006
    Also, if he does have an AGP slot...its probably one of the old 3.5V AGP slots that will burn out a newer 1.somethingV AGP card.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited February 2006
    lol grayfox i forgot that if he were running a p2 or 3 that it would be an 810 or something like that not supporing 4x or 8x agp.

yea like everyone else suggested, its new computer time!
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    how about a 9800 pro?

new compy time :)
  • edited February 2006
    Definitely new computer time, or at least a major upgrade. The i810 chipset doesn't even have or support an AGP slot. So it's either onboard vid or a pci vid card. The i815 chipset supported 4X AGP but the i810 chipset was the cheapo line made for low cost machines only.

The best thing to do for that old machine would be to donate it to a school or church and get a tax writeoff.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    The best thing to do for that old machine would be to donate it to a school or church and get a tax writeoff.
    Or fold...
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    You can get a barebones setup from places like Tigerdirect.com for cheap, and build a pretty decent computer around it that'll be several times faster than your current rig.
  • edited February 2006
    TMH88 it shows Intel(r) 82810E Graphics Controller in Display adaptor and i going to use this PC for CAD/CAM purpose were i am learning CAD softwares so its for practising those software here with this PC
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2006
    for CAD you need a new machine, straight up.
  • edited February 2006
    I am Thankful for everyone here for helping me .... spending time for my question thank you people.......... Keeping posting...Good Job ..
    Salute to Everyone
  • edited February 2006
    Yeah you rite people i should go for new PC for CAD/CAM . let this PC be for playing games .. other common use...but need some decent speed! Is there any hope for this old PC to improve SPeed Graphics?
  • edited February 2006
    Good Idea "donate to Schools" but i keeping this PC on sentiment but its time to decide let me Donate this PC
  • edited February 2006
    Good Idea "donate to Schools" but i keeping this PC on sentiment but its time to decide so let me Donate this PC:clap:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    prabu wrote:
    I am Thankful for everyone here for helping me .... spending time for my question thank you people.......... Keeping posting...Good Job ..
    Salute to Everyone
    prabu

The ball is in your court now. We need to know your budget and where you live to be accurate.