Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    None I suppose. I yield to your superior fanboyism. :respect:
    You win. Here's a cookie. chocolate_chip_cookie.jpg

Have a nice day. :celebrate:

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited February 2006
    I'm not a fan of anything except putting the skids to blatant misinformation...I don't have any plans to buy a console in the near or distant future, I do own a 2nd gen PS one but the only reason I haven't thrown it away is because I hate wasting stuff. So far it's been in a bag in my closet for well over 2 years which is about 2 weeks less than I've owned it.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I'm thinking of something like Final Fantasy, Suikoden, or Xenosaga.

While games like Dungeon Siege, Morrowind, and the D&D games are certainly RPGs, they're not what I've considered traditional, since I first started playing console RPGs.

I don't know where to begin. But those games are around because of the classic PC rpg's like Wizardry, Bards Tale, Phantasm, Might and Magic, Dungeon Master, I could go on. Those are the true traditional RPG's. Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Xenosaga are a very different form of RPG. They are very far removed from the 'Role Playing' side of things and are far more just a collecting game. There is little choice in most of them and you are pretty much just along for the ride.

Dungeon Siege like Diablo are just a hack n' slash games, you really play no role. I don't know when or where it happened exactly. But games like that aren't Role Playing games they have much more in common with action games and fps's then they do RPG's. Bethesda's Arena series (Morrowind is the 3rd one) on the other hand is probably about the closest current thing we've had to an open ended RPG. A game where you can actually take on a role and explore.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    kryyst wrote:
    I don't know where to begin. But those games are around because of the classic PC rpg's like Wizardry, Bards Tale, Phantasm, Might and Magic, Dungeon Master, I could go on. Those are the true traditional RPG's.

I knew someone was going to bring up those games :). Which is fine, but remember I'm using the word traditional differently (and loosely), to indicate what I've been playing traditionally. Console style RPGs.

I know Wizardry and the like came first, but I just didn't like their style of gameplay at all. Morrowind harkens back to that style, and I don't like it either. Whatever sub-genre the games like Final Fantasy and Suikoden fit into, that's what I want to play. The paths of the characters may be mostly fixed, but the plot is often detailed and fleshed out to a degree that isn't practical for a true open-ended game. The only truely open-ended games that feel right to me are MMORPGs.

With critical acclaim Morrowind had for its detail and vastness, it still felt lonely and lifeless to me. It felt like playing an MMORPG all by myself. If that's the high watermark for PC RPGs, I'm going to need a PS3. Not slamming the PC RPGs, just saying I'd rather play something else.